Times Of Israel Warns, Oy Vey

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Lulu Moppet, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw the actual photos yesterday on the TV news and looked for an explanation this morning from print media. I selected the story from Times of Israel as I thought this link would be the most believable to this audience, as opposed to Snopes.

Migrants wait at US border with numbers written on their arms
    "Marking of asylum seekers, which recalls Nazi practice of tattooing prisoner numbers, is reportedly now part of the process at port of entry into the US"
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/migrants-wait-at-us-border-with-numbers-written-on-their-arms/

This couldn't be handled differently? No one in charge noticed what the Times of Israel did? Do we need this comparison?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Except for the minor fact that the Jews weren't threatening to storm the wall of Auschwitz, insisting on being allowed in.

3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm saying the imagery is not smart; we can do this better.

Speaking of imagery, what about yours?:
    Storm the walls of Auschwitz? The United States represents freedom, not enslavement, Ken. No one could be blamed over storming the walls of Auschwitz could they? Except by the ones who imprisoned them. There were indeed those who stormed the interior walls. Those were the ones who couldn't take it anymore, chose suicide, as anyone near the walls would be shot dead immediately.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lulu Moppet @Ken Anderson
    Trying to understand a discrepancy here, I am sometimes rather slow, obviously. Ken spoke of storming the walls to get in, Lulu spoke of storming the walls to get out. Getting IN to a place of known death is surely different than getting IN to a new country.

Sure, "marking" human beings (permanent markers are not permanent) is a crude way of identifying them. Might it be less offensive to fingerprint them (this will likely be done anyway, though later), or develop a database using retinal identification or DNA?

Lulu, I hope this fact does not offend you, as it is certainly mentioned only to reveal a little-known fact regarding the concentration camps: few interred were ever shot; almost without exception, the soldiers we all have seen carrying bayonet-laden rifles herding those unfortunates had no ammunition. Close inspection of known authentic photographs reveal open bolts, lack of magazines; ammunition was far too precious and scarce to be doled out to mere guards not fighting on the front. I have looked at such photographs myself, to confirm the fact. It makes sense. However, those bayonets were used with little discretion instead of ammunition, of course.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.