Tomorrow Is Laser Cataract Surgery.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Laser Cataract Surgery on left eye tomorrow AM. Wife will be with me and is taking Thursday and Friday off as well. When I got the call last night to confirm the time/day, I really thought about hitting the Cancelation number, but since I knew my wife definitely wouldn't approve and I really didn't want to, I "Confirmed". This is a eye problem (cataracts) that I REALLY need to have taken care of and done now. My eyesight is getting worse daily and I can tell it.

The right eye is scheduled to be done on the 24th of this month. Yes, gotta have both eyes done.

Started the two different eye drops this past Sunday. Have both, and can use either, safety goggles or snorkeling goggles while taking a shower. Don't want any moisture from the shower getting in the eye. Have use both goggles and eyes stayed completely dry. May have to sleep in wife's recliner, like I did after my rotator cuff surgery. Don't want to, in my sleep, roll over onto the plastic eye protector covering the surgical eye. Sleeping in the recliner, I can't do that. IOW, have to follow ALL post-op instructions my surgeon gives me and have my wife make sure I do.

Will let everyone here know how I do. It will be GREAT to have nice vision back again with new lenses in my eyes.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck @Cody Fousnaugh ...I'm going to need it done also but have to deal with my anxiety issues first.

Plus have to figure out when my daughter can stay with me etc...

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There is no reason to believe that it won't go well for you, @Cody Fousnaugh. I haven't had it done, but my wife has, and she said it was easy.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

You will do fine, Cody, but good luck anyway. Please do let us know what your experience was like.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ken, tell her (for me) "thanks for the vote of confidence for me" Believe me, Ken, I do need it.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My laser cataract surgery (left eye) yesterday, went very nicely. Had a little hard time finding a spot for IV, finally go a spot on other side of right elbow. Also, GREAT surgeon! Three different eye drops daily, but my vision in that eye is excellent now. See absolutely beautiful colors! Other eye done on the 24th of this month. Absolutely can't believe my vision in the left eye now. To me, better than 20-20.

Wife helping me with a few things, until next Monday when she goes back to work.

Many, many Seniors getting cataract surgery, where I had mine done, but don't know how many are getting the laser assisted kind, like I had.

If you can afford it, which we "made it happen" with the Care Credit, I VERY highly suggest the laser assisted surgery.

Here it is Thursday, day after my surgery yesterday AM, and I'm on the computer writing this. However, I don't stay on very long or watch tv very long right now. Took a shower this AM, wearing my goggles to protect the eye and it went great. Didn't need any help from my wife.

Given sunglasses to wear outside for awhile.

Last thing, have a "Grabber" to pick up things off of the floor, so I don't have to bend over. Not to bend past my waist for awhile...….don't want to put too much pressure on the eye or new lens.

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks for the update, Cody. Do you notice things being much whiter, with the left eye now? I have white kitchen cabinets and the first time I walked into the kitchen the difference in the two eyes was amazing.

This is the time period when it's fun to compare the two eyes and see the advantage. After both are done you will forget the difference. Glad it went well for you!

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Very good news @Cody Fousnaugh ....that grabber is a good tip, especially for me.

Also, when you feel like it, I'd like more details. Like where you asleep? Just relaxed? Just numbed?

Could you see what was going on?

Did you feel anything during or after? Meaning pain..

I'm very happy for you...I only hope I can get the laser kind.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Nancy Hart

Registered

My mother had the surgery without the laser, and I had it with. Her experience was the same as mine. My optometrist said there isn't much difference in the results, just that the edges of the incision in the lens is more uniform with the laser. He said the important thing is how experienced the surgeon is doing it, either normally, or using the laser machine.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It just plain AMAZING just how much brighter and colorful everything is. Amazing!!

Yes, I cup my hand over my left eye, without touching it of course, I can definitely tell the difference. I'm going to very glad to have the right eye done. I'll be able to see an ant on a tree 24 miles away! Only kidding, but.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The laser become popular due to faster healing time, or, at least, that's what's documented, and that many older folks didn't like knowing that a surgical knife was going to be used to make the incision. A laser is of high precision, whereas a surgeons hand, no so much.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I know you very nearly cancelled the procedure Cody...I bet you're very pleased you didn't !!:D

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad things went well for you Cody. :)