Tomorrow Is Laser Cataract Surgery.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

You don't need good luck...you need a good Opthamologist!

They give you a local anasthetic, then they remove your old lens and pop in the new one. They have to fold the new lens so it will fit into the ocular cavity, where it unfolds and assumes the exact position of the old lens!

Then you go to the recovery room for 30 minutes, then you go home.

The surgery is very meticulous, so don't trust to luck...trust to The Man!

Here I am after returning from the surgery...the eye patch is to be worn for 24 hours.

Hal
    237.JPG

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Your explanation of the lens being worked with was most informative. My wife is slowly realizing the actual reality of the cataract surgery.....She is not afraid, but prefers to keep it out of her mind for now. She gets the first one done Nov. 15.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

If you want to get really nervous, go find a YouTube video of the procedure being performed live. :eek:

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Yeah, I know that, and as I'm squeamish as hell about even needles in general, getting them in the eyeball would be my final intrusion. It is a certainty that the fact my wife does not snoop here is in my favor.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope all has gone well for you @Cody Fousnaugh , and before long you'll be able to see out of both eyes like they are brand new...

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The eye cover I'm wearing is not like yours at all. Mine is a clear plastic one with small holes around the edge of it. There is a small area in the middle to look out of. My right eye laser surgery was done on Wed AM. I emphasis the word "laser", because that is what was used, and that, plus the customized lens I got, is why the surgery cost us $1,900 out-of-pocket for each eye. I am now only wearing the eye cover if I take a nap during the day or at night for sleeping...….and, that is only for a week/7 days. So, by this time next week, I won't be wearing the eye cover at all, day or night.

My old lens was broken up with the laser...….no cutting with a "scalpel" like knife.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, when looking at this procedure on YouTube, be sure to look at the LASER procedure, not the one where a needle and scalpel are used on the eye.
    Anyway, the only needle I got was the IV in my hand. Nothing else. I spent time in the "prep" area, getting set up for surgery and then on to the laser room, where the gurney I was on, was tilted way back and I was looking up at laser lights. I felt a little presser in the eye and could see some kind of solution being sprayed into the eye. Next thing I know, I was in recovery.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It appears my right eye isn't recovering as fast as my left eye did. It's only been a day and a half since the surgery, but seems like my left eye vision was better after this "day and a half" than my right eye is. Wife and I were really, really impressed over my vision in the left eye and can only hope the right eye comes out exactly the same way.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't worry too much Cody, give it another day or 2 and see how it is then...

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One other thing, while I'm here, I looked at the right eye last night in the bathroom mirror, lowered the eye, to where the white part of the eye is over the pupil, and noticed a small bloodshot. A small bloodshot in the lower right side white area also. Read online that this is a common occurrence after surgery and these spots should go away with time and the prescription eyedrops. But, it sure did scare wife and I.

So, for now, that's it. Have seven drops a day to put in. One drop for the left eye and six drops for the right eye. Right now it is "drops" time and after that, will rest both eyes for awhile. No lifting over 10 pounds and no bending over past my waist...…….due to putting to much pressure on the eye. Have a "grabber" to use to pick anything up off of the floor. And, of course, the sunglasses that were given to me.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well after reading about your surgery and it looks like a successful one, I think I'll put mine off until my anxiety is non existent.

Just reading about it now ...my stomach is churning, lol.

Glad though that You did well and it's over with for you.

I may wait until I move to or nearer my daughter.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It does look like the right eye vision is getting better. Apparently it did take a few days, to a week, for the left eye to get 20/20. Wife and I were just so ecstatically happy about the vision I was having in the left eye, on the weekend after surgery, that we didn't even think that it would take the same amount of time, or a little more, for the right eye...…...but, so far, the right eye is coming along.

Holly Saunders and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing for sure, if your cataracts get too bad, as mine did, you eye doctor will highly recommend the surgery. It will be up to you what type of surgery, laser or regular, you will want and type of implant lenses you want. The implant (lens) is what can be costly, but much better than a standard lens.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

He hasn't said anything yet, just that I have them.