Tonga One Of My Best Trips Ever

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

This 22 day sailing trip on a 90 ft. twin masted schooner carrying a crew of five and eight passsengers was a trip of a life time for me. Sailed from one end of the Tonga chain of islands to the other, scuba diving, fishing and visiting natives. I had just retired four weeks prior. TONGA TRIP.jpg TONGA TRIP.jpg TONGA TRIP.jpg TONGA TRIP.jpg

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure they are some great memories, @Lon Tanner. Looks like you had a lovely companion, too.

3. Lon Tanner

Registered

This18 day trip on the “R. Tucker Thompson” was the fulfillment of a young boys dream for me. Despite not knowing anything about sailing I had always wanted to get on a sailing ship of some kind, just wear a bathing suit, visit small, tropical islands, eat fish, drink coconut milk and visit with the natives. Diane and I did that and much more.

We met the R. Tucker captain and crew at the dock in Vava'u after spending several days at Tonga's capital city of Nuku'alofa, where Tonga's king has his palace. Yes, Tonga had and still has a king, and a big one at that. Our time in Nuku'alofa was spent scuba diving and getting checked out by the local Padi Dive Master. He happened to be from San Jose, California, was divorced and now married to a young Tongan woman. He trained the entire 60 man Tongan Navy in scuba diving.

Our crew on the R. Tucker consisted of four people and nine international passengers.

We all became quite friendly and understanding of one another and modesty was tossed aside due to the fact that the ship had one head (toilet/shower) for crew and guests. The captain had his own head but did not share. Toileting and showering could be done simultaneously. Our cook did a fantastic job with the meals which were usually served up on deck weather permitting and it usually permitted. Although it was not required to crew, most of the passengers took a four hour turn at the wheel after a bit of instruction of how to keep the ship on course. We sailed from one end of the Tonga Chain to the other stopping off to dive, explore, swim and barter with the natives. We traded T shirts and cans of beef for woven baskets and carvings. Diane, as a RN-Certified Nurse Midwife enjoyed spending time with the mothers and babies and inquiring about birthing.

Diane and I were not married when we made this trip, but it was this trip that inspired me to ask her to marry me, and we were married the following year 1992.

I have made many wonderful trips with great memories, but this Tonga Trip tops them all.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon, that sounds like a great trip!