Topic Ideas

Discussion in 'Senior Directory Project' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I am waiting for the DNS to propagate so that I can install and set up the Seniors Guide, I thought I'd solicit some ideas as for topics.

I intend this to be a niche guide and directory, which will include informational articles as well as links to web sites whose topics related primarily to seniors, but I want it to be more of a guide for seniors, not for the children of seniors, who are looking for ideas of what to do with their parents.

Although we'll surely include sections for things like nursing homes and retirement communities, home care services, adult day care, mobility products, providers of Medicare supplements and advantage programs, and government benefits, these are the things that other senior guides already provide.

Keeping in mind that one of the chief purposes of the site is as a directory of web sites, what other topics might pertain solely or largely to people are are getting older, but who are not necessarily incompetent or incapacitated.?

Most of us use grocery stores, but so does everyone else, so that's not the sort of thing I'm interested in including.

Anyone who will be accessing the guide will be someone who uses computers, and I think we can add some topics related to technology that might be largely focused on seniors. Although I, and many of you, have been using a computer for far longer than our children have, that's not the case with a lot of seniors, who might have gotten a computer or tablet device only to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren. My son turned fifty, and he has never used a computer. He wasn't interested as a teenager, when I got my first computer, and never did get interested in it. Of course, he wouldn't be accessing the guide because he wouldn't be online, so we might look at what topics might there be that related to seniors and technology.

Health issues would be another area, as there are health problems that are more common to seniors.

Any other ideas?

2. Ken Anderson

In other words, as a senior you have a lot of interests. Many of them are the same interests you've always had, so those aren't the ones that I am interested in as far as a Seniors Guide goes. What interests do you have that you think are related to this stage in your life? Being a senior is about more than Medicare, health concerns, retirement communities, nursing homes, government programs and funeral homes, yet these are the the only things covered in most senior guides.

3. Ken Anderson

Downsizing is one such topic. Although others might choose to downsize too, for various reasons, this is something of particular interest to seniors, although I'm still accumulating and wishing I had more space.

You don't have to know a thing about directories to help with this part of it. Which topics are of interest to you now that weren't so much of interest to you when you were younger, particularly those that may be related to age?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

You seem to have most things covered @Ken Anderson....errrm what about some kind of thing that lets us middle years folks know what's ahead of us...I mean what to expect in our senior years that we might not expect...

In our 50's and 60's many of us have no idea what it feels like to be 80 plus...... what are we like to have to be watchful for as we get older?

I suppose I mean a kind of instruction manual on what to expect as we age... from our middle years

Micki Pembroke and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

That would be a part of it, yes. There are more topics to be found, however.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson this is a very interesting thread. I sometimes see advertisements regarding products for seniors and those physically challenged to help them around the home like walk-in tubs, motorized chairs for stairs. I think would be an interesting topic.

Micki Pembroke and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Veteran Member
    Registered

We are looking into things like retirement home as of next week ...( at a meeting for a planned new village ) ....right now there is a over 50’ s retirement village being set up spitting distance from where we live ...there are no roads established as yet .,however 4 transportable Homes have appeared in the area that’s had a temporary road pushed through far enough so they could place the homes on stumps ....

We got a advertising phamplet in out letter box inviting anyone who’s interested to a meeting at a nearby golf club ,to ask questions about the new village or just questions in general about retirement living ,we have put our name down to attend ...as we need to start seriously thinking about downsizing our 4 bedroom home ,that only myself and hubby lives in
    ( we had it on the market but have recently taken it off the market to take it out of the hands of the horrible man we had it with) We intend re listing it with another agent in the new year ..

There is a long established retirement village “in town “ about 4 km from where we live .

We know people who live at the one in town ...I asked them some time ago ..so do you like it ...their answer was Mmmmm ...they love their Unit ...however with the homes being so close together ..most of the time they can’t spend time out on their back patio area ,due to,having people who smoke either side of them ...( and they get the second hand smoke drifting into their private space ) so that’s one issue that would deter me from even concidering a retirement village .

With us both being “never even tried smokers “
    We are 70 hubs and I’m.71 so it’s high on the agenda after I recover from some upcoming surgery I’m having in a couple of weeks,to look in the city 2 hours from where we live now ..

As for the new one I mentioned I intend asking them about their new homes ....to my knowledge transportable homes need steps or ramps ...and that’s something most retirees steer clear of beacuse of the fall risks ....
    yes some are fine walking up ramps .....but allot are not as they age ....anyway that’s my 2 bobs worth on the subject

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Veteran Member
    Registered

Available transportation may be a problemm some seniors face. It has been at times transportation not available toget to doctor''s appointments, grocery shopping, etc.

9. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have been researching senior related topics for a few months, but my interests may or may not coincide with others, so someone would have to receive my links, check them out, and determine which are useful. If that is acceptable, let me know where to send links to, and I will make submissions as I find them.

10. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Active Member
    Registered

One can easily envision these new directories as a valuable resource by which we may set the coarse for a paradigm shift in how we participate in our futures. An open source approach to elderly concerns could organically democratize the possibility of finding an economical solution. Hence a graphic vision of novel proportions may be coming to fruition through this project!

Caregiver training websites such as caregiving.com and links to sites such as this AJN resource might give those interested parties a direction for honing their craft.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree Alan ^^^^^ ... but I still would like it if those who are the older generation here on this forum, to us middle aged.. could teach /warn/ advise...on anything we might not otherwise expect to happen as we age .. I'm 64 , there are folks over 20 years older than me here the age of my late mother and father ..and aside from illness that few can foresee, I wonder if perhaps there are hints or tips they could give to help us prepare for the next 20 years..

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I've found that one thing that I have which is useful is a piece of soft ware called NOMOROBO which eliminates almost all sales calls.

13. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Active Member
    Registered

You're precisely on point Holly, and it's toward this very ideal that I would direct the focus! At this juncture the players in the game have the service providers squarely at the top while their clientele are dangling on their every whim at the bottom. The caregivers, thought to be somewhere in the middle are given the short shrift or nary a consideration at all.

My intention is not to turn this industry on its head (though it would seem so) but more like laying it on its side on a more equal plane. Employing the expertise of the customer to educate the caregivers who would in turn act as the go-between for the service providers. It's quite the ambitious task but for me there is nothing more meaningful than this journey.

First step: Starts right here, right now. It's what brought me to conspire with this wonderful group of people!

We can do this...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Task Force Registered

@Alan Sidlo Was their a particular event or series of events which caused you to see the great need of this? I think it's a wonderful idea.

Micki Pembroke and Alan Sidlo like this.
  15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

One thing you will note at about age 75 is this; you are really now a goldenager. You will walk slower, think slower, do everything slower and you will look in the mirror and ask yourself, "when and how did this happen?" That is when you must take the bull by the horns and keep yourself updated on everything and I do mean everything. You will become either fastidious or slovenly, it depends on you. Unfortunately, some folks will criticize you as being more cynical, but in truth, you are simply wiser and it rankles the younger ones around you. Don't be offended if someone calls you an old codger. You bet we are and have the grey hairs and wrinkles to prove we earned the title. Above all else, realize, time has grown very short now and so live life at its fullest. Be kind and enjoy good humor and keep the faith. Take good care of your health and your teeth! You'll need them for your cranky digestive system.