Tough Tomato Skins

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Debbie Seattle, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Debbie Seattle

Debbie Seattle Veteran Member
    Registered

having a wonderful crop of tomatoes (early girls) this year, but have noticed the skins are tough on some, anyone have any idea why that would happen?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a good tomato crop too. I think maybe the skins get tougher later in the season. I prefer to peel the tomatoes but it can be a lot of trouble.

BTW....welcome to the forum

Debbie Seattle likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had to peel all tomatoes for my husband after his surgery for colon cancer and he ended up with a colostomy.

Yes, a pain to peel.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had only a few tomatoes this year. The skin on those was okay; but I did buy some at the grocery store that had a very tough skin. They looked like beautiful tomatoes, but when we went to slice and eat them, they had very little flavor, and the skin was very tough. Of course, most store-bought tomatoes don't have much taste, so we expected that part, but not for the skin to be like rubber.
    I like to go to the local farmer market when we can; but it is not real close, and not in the part of town where we go for any other reason usually. Unless we are going there just for the farmers market, we never go to that part of town. But they do have fresh and delicious vegetables there.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I like Trader Joe's on the vine tomatoes, they even have that fresh vine smell. I also like heirloom tomatoes. They are usually pretty tasty and the skin is very thin.

I just had one at my daughter's house last week. It was from Nob Hill, a supermarket near her.