Transactional Analysis And The 3 Ego States--parent / Adult / Child

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I went through that program in the 1960s also, using the "I'm OK, You're OK" book. I volunteered for a crisis hotline during my junior and senior year of high school, and that was a part of the training, although I couldn't see what it had to do with anything. During the same period, I read "Games People Play." As I remember, the TA guy recommended it.

I'll probably start a thread about my crisis center experiences in a day or two, as long as my wife promises not to read it. When you're dealing with a life crisis or contemplating suicide, there's nothing better than calling a crisis hotline and talking to a couple of 14-year-olds who are there for you, largely because it gave them an excuse to spend the night together away from home. It's probably even more useful when the kid on the other end of the phone is on acid.

As for transactional analysis, my 14-year-old mind did try to make some sense out of it. I actually read the book and attended all of the classes, but I thought it was kind of goofy at the time. I haven't given it a shot as an adult, however. I suspected it was a cult thing.

3. Jess Santorio

Jess Santorio Well-Known Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I expect that most of the people here have never heard of transactional analysis, or don't know enough about it to contribute to the discussion. Plus, the originator of the thread hasn't been back to it. Generally, the thread originator moves a thread along.