Transporting Migrants From Border To Other U.s. Cities

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, May 18, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, boo-hoo. Florida can't afford to deal with the illegals... but the border states can??? :mad:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said he would fight any plans the federal government may have to transport hundreds of immigrants on a weekly basis from the Mexican border to South Florida.

“I think it will tax our resources, the schools, the health care, law enforcement, state agencies,” DeSantis said after a bill signing on Friday. “It’s gonna ultimately be something I’m going to have to talk to the president about.”

Talk to the President all you want, Ron. The fact is, border facilities are being overrun and the illegals have to go someplace. As a Texan, I say "deal with it, as we have had to do."

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On one side of the coin, I do agree with you Beth but on the other, the state of Florida already has its share of problems regarding illegal and legal immigrants.
    Cubans, Haitians and Jamaicans (and others) hit the shores of Florida on a daily basis and Florida has less control over its borders than our Mexican/American border does. With the exception of the Coast Guard, there is little to deter anyone from crossing the Gulf and making Florida their new home.
    I worked in restaurants and worked as a F&B consultant from mid to south Florida for a few years and I do not recall a time when the utility department of every restaurant I had to deal with didn’t have a full staff of Haitians or Cubans. There had to be a Haitian French or a Spanish interpreter in every restaurant in order to communicate with the staff.
    I’m not sure about the time line, but I think it was during the Kennedy administration that a law was passed giving legal immigration status to anyone making it to the Florida shore from Cuba. If the Coast Guard caught them before they hit sand, they went back but once their inner tubes or boats hit land, they are legal. They get all the benefits of a citizen except the right to vote even though, I’m sure many of them do whether it’s legal or not.

The house next to me in Lantana, Florida had 4 or 5 Haitian families living in it with no utilities turned on. They used the hedges between the house to do their uh...morning chores and my experience with it wasn’t the only one in the area. There were hundreds of reports dealing with the same subject.
    The Miami area might as well be a part of Cuba because Spanish is the dominant language spoken and the Cuban culture is now the dominant culture. When I lived in Florida, there was some legislation that was going to make Spanish mandatory in schools and also make Spanish the primary language of the entire state.

Bottom line is that I can see the governor’s plight. He not only has to take care of the immigration problems they already have, but now the feds are laying yet another problem of the same nature on him and his state.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Sorry, Bobby, but I think the illegal problem should be distributed and shared by all. It's easy to sit in a "fly-over" state and not be concerned about illegals pouring over the border 1000 miles away. Texas and the other Mexican border states are being OVERRUN and maybe sending them all over the country will finally be the catalyst for immigration reform and a WALL.

I don't know how it is determined which states are getting the immigrants, but IMO all states should share the "wealth," even Florida.

Emma Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s a given that if all 50 states had to share in the keeping of those who the government deems as seeking asylum, the idea of a wall might just hit home for many of them.

So far as Florida goes, De Santis did inherit 6 or 7 counties that are listed as sanctuary counties and no, I wouldn’t be opposed to loading up those counties provided that the entire state doesn’t have to suffer for the mismanagement of a few counties.
    That said, I wouldn’t mind seeing ALL of the areas that are referred to as a sanctuary city, county or state just flooded to overflowing with the fence pressers.
    If an area is listed as being a sanctuary area, then let that particular government come up with the money for housing, education, medical etc and then let’s see how fast they are begging the government for additional funds. (which in my opinion should not be awarded under any circumstances).

Now, although a new law in Texas which forbids sanctuary cities and counties is on the books, some cities like Houston are a little belligerent so maybe those cities nation wide which go against the grain should indeed receive their share of the problem.

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

They should send them just to Democratic controlled cities and states because they are the ones who do not want anyone to stop the flow. Pick a few of these multi millionaires democrats to volunteer their houses or property to hold them. maybe then they might change their minds about what is going on.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, believe me... Houston has more than "their share" of the problem. Houston now has the 3rd largest hispanic population in the United States.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Beth Gallagher I think most of the "Fly Over" states support control for illegal immigration. It is the coasts--Washington, Oregon, California, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Delaware... that are the problem. The areas of Florida where the immigrants are being shipped are primarily heavily Democratic, pro-illegal areas of Florida. Obama shipped them to conservative area hoping eventually to change the demographics and voting preferences to Democrat.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Not necessarily because of the Latino population, but I used to avoid Houston like a heart attack. I experienced way too many other problems during one contract job, so from then on, no more contracts in Houston and speed the entire 53 miles from east to west if I had to drive through it.
    I cannot imagine it now!

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Here ya go. Enjoy! :D

280418_original.jpg

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s really hard to put a like on that Beth. Good effort producing the picture but so far as what it depicts? The memory is kinda like that nauseating feeling one gets whilst thinking about one’s last root canal. Never say never but I’ll never do it again.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am in favor of any state doing whatever they can to resist the dumping of illegals in their state. I think every state - and every individual - should fight this. Border states should have the state militias on the border. Unfortunately, here in Maine, Democrats are in control of everything, and they are about to make us a sanctuary state. Portland, Maine declared itself a sanctuary city a few years ago, and now they as crying for state and federal funding in order to meet with the cost of the influx of new immigrants.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe that every sanctuary city and state should have all federal funding removed. Nothing speaks louder than money.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, my wife and I mentioned to each other about how many Hispanic/Mexican's we seen this last weekend here. The landscaping company that does our apartment complex is comprised of almost all Mexicans. If you say something to them, they just look at you. "No speak any English" is what they are thinking?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Our illegals have a pecking order.
    Mexicans are construction and landscaping
    Ecuadorians and Colombians are vineyard and orchard workers
    Peruvians are the Dairy and equine workers

Cody Fousnaugh and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Your post brought back a memory of when I lived in the Bahamas.
    Due to their educational level, the Haitians were at the bottom of the list and served as labor or utility then the ranking went to the Bahamians who were more educated but lacked the higher education and skills that the Jamaicans had. Then at the top of the list as upper management and ownership were the British and the Americans.

Soon after Prime Minister Pendling took the seat it became illegal for the British or Americans to start new businesses. Ownership was made almost exclusive for the Bahamians and went so far with the exclusivity as to make it nearly illegal for an American or British grandfathered business to fire a Bahamian. Doing so could get a person deported within a half hour after it was reported and forced the perpetrator to leave everything behind in the process: business, clothing, furniture, house, car.......everything. My Dad was one of them who was deported and he was only the superintendent of F&G Builders.

Now, how that applies to our own situation is that even Obama admitted that we should have a system of entry whereby the higher the education the better chance of entry into the U.S.

Jerry Adams and Don Alaska like this.