Tree Trimmer's Wild Ride

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Beth Gallagher, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I saw it. That palm tree was bent over, according to written reports, by the weight of the fronds. The worker should have known what he was getting into. As he cut off the whole top, I imagine the job was a removal.

Not knowing what was below the tree, I can't say how that removal should have been done. Were I doing it, and my drop zone allowed, I would have cut it in half, thus shortening the lever arm force, and reducing the swing. I've gone for rides, in similar situations, but I've always been securely tied in, before the cut was made. It's a bit unnerving, but you get used to it, over time.

A fact: Every year, a few palm tree workers are killed when they incorrectly tie in under the fronds, remove a few, and then have the whole ring of fronds slip down the tree onto them, suffocating them in the process. Not a great way to go, I'm sure.

To do palm trimming, one puts the climbing rope over the top of the palm, and secures the far end to a proper point, on the ground. If the fronds give way and slide down the tree, the climber can then kick away from the ring and be fine.

I no longer do palms. They are truly filthy in the area where their fronds die back. Rats, roaches, mice, wasps......... I've had all swarm me as I cut fronds. Not happening, again, to me, this time around. No way, Jose!

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

That could be a new amusement park thrill ride.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Trevalius Guyus

I knew a guy who trimmed palms. He claimed to often find scorpions hidden in the top of the heartwood, due to the insects to be found there. He was stung numerous times.

Frank