Trump's Immigration Ban Court Fight

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Chrissy Cross, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Im surprised nobody has posted about the latest appeals court decision against his proposed travel ban.

What will happen next? What's the next step for Trump? I don't ha e a link but I'm guessing you all know what I'm talking about....I was waiting to see someone post about it but either I'm missing it or nobody has.

In my opinion I think Trump should have worded it better in the first place and it should have not caused so much chaos at airports for legit immigrants. That all just made it look bad and gave the liberals ammunition.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Appeals Court Keeps Doors Open! Rules Against Trump
    [​IMG]

10 FEBRUARY, 2017

A federal appeals court unanimously refused to reinstate President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from seven Muslim-majority countries, issuing a sharp rebuke in a ruling likely destined for the U.S. Supreme Court. Trump was defiant, tweeting 26 minutes later, “SEE YOU IN COURT. THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!” He told White House reporters the decision was “political.”

The 29-page ruling from a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals concluded roundly that the government failed to make its case that a temporary freeze on the ban should be lifted, and called into question presidential power to limit immigration in the way Trump did. Joe Scarborough of MSNBC reported Friday, citing unidentified sources, that the White House is working on a new executive order with more specific language. READ MORE

The problem I see is that things can be hung up in Courts forever! If one Court says one thing, another Court can say something different and Trump can't control that. And they can also take as much time as they want reaching a decision. Maybe the those Judges that hate Trump think they can bounce this "ball" back and forth until Trump is out of Office.

Personally I think that would be a bad mistake since it would allow many terrorists in to cause much destruction here in America. It would also prove how bad our Judicial system has become and that might be a good thing.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, a terrorist attack would be in his favor now and didn't know that's a terrible thing to say and I don't wish for that but it could happen.

It all gets so complicated ...it wears me out just thinking about it, I really don't know how he does it at his age...he could be spending his money and enjoying life without headaches.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to agree that Trump cares about America and to get of those that didn't care and try to undo the damage they did. I don't know how far he will get in this, but I definitely give him an "A+" for effort!

And no matter who says America is not in trouble....we are!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Terrorists are already here in America...all they are waiting on is their instructions as to when they are to attack.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

He lost me with the appeals of the court rulings. There is nothing in the constitution that places the Judicial Branch over the Administrative Branch, and especially not a federal district court. By appealing, I thought he was unnecessarily subjecting his authority to the court system. He should have just ignored the lower court rulings.

Yes, that's been done before.

In 1942, a group of Germans landed in Florida and Long Island, and were accused of being saboteurs. An appeal was made to the Supreme Court to prevent their execution. Roosevelt said, "They will be tried in a military court, and they will be executed. It should happen within three weeks, and tell the Supreme Court that if they issue a writ of habeas corpus, I will not honor it, and therefore they should not issue it. I am the commander in chief. They aren't."

In recent years, presidents have held themselves accountable to the Supreme Court, but that was not the case previously, and wasn't intended to be the case.

The three branches of government were created as co-equal branches, neither being subject to the other.

Another president, I don't remember who, said, of a Supreme Court ruling that he disagreed with, "Let them enforce it."

Abraham Lincoln said, "Supreme Court opinions are entitled to very high respect and consideration in all parallel cases, but are ultimately limited to the parties to a suit as to the object of that suit."

Lincoln made these remarks as part of his First Inaugural Address, arguing that the government should not be bound by litigation to which it was not a party.

By that, the current immigration question would be limited to the person for whom the suit was brought, and not to any other people coming from those countries.

A University of Chicago law professor argued that President Obama should ignore a Supreme Court ruling, should the Court rule against him in a case known King v. Burwell, except for the four individuals who brought this particular lawsuit.

Reason Magazine, a liberal publication, published an article last summer, when they assumed that Hillary Clinton would win the presidency, arguing that she was not obligated to recognize the Supreme Court's "People's United" ruling.

I have never heard of a president being subject to a lower court ruling before.

Of course, if Trump were to ignore even the lower court ruling, both Reason Magazine and this University of Chicago law professor would be calling for his impeachment.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I know that @Babs Hunt and anybody who thinks otherwise is living a lie. Right now though they are probably thinking what their best move is.

@Ken Anderson ...who lost you? I don't understand your first sentence. How did he lose you?

8. Ken Anderson

I disagreed with Trump. By appealing the lower court ruling, he subjected himself to the lower courts, and I think that was a mistake. An argument can be made for the Supreme Court, but the president's order should remain in effect until the Supreme Court has ruled on it.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

see you in court he said

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's what I thought, I don't think he did any of these moves without consulting some people. His knowledge is in business not law. I'm sure he knows more than the average person but still not enough.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

In caps...on twitter...right?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

He also does not have every one around him that he knows he can trust either. There are still so many who hate him that pretend to be backing him....it will take most of his first year in Office just to weed out these people.

14. Ken Anderson

Reince Priebus is one who he'd be better off without. The man is a snake in the grass.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope you have not changed your mind about Trump @Ken Anderson just because of this. As that would not be fair or giving him time to adjust to a world that he is just entering into.