Tryin' To Reason...

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Ed Marsh, May 31, 2020.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-

the finish to that line, according to Jimmy Buffet, is "with hurricane season."
    Down here on the Gulf Coast, we are standing ready for another storm season. We made it through Hurricane Michael- our most recent hurricane- but our RV on our lot down at Port St Joe, Florida did not. We had a 6 foot storm surge from Michael sweep over our place, and the poor old RV was finally located some distance away waaay back in the woods. What a mess.

Our new RV is on lot, but with this Covid stuff, we can't go visit and go fishing on St Joe Bay, and that is causing me some considerable pain.

but we just have to hope we'll not be visited by another hurricane this year. If you've never been through a major tropical storm, you don't want to. they are not much fun.

good day to all- Ed

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey there, Ed. I've lived on the Gulf coast most of my life, in the Houston metro area mostly. I can remember hurricanes and tropical storms back to the 60's. Hurricane season is just another annoyance that we deal with. :D

No matter how hard I wish, our RV always seems to stay high and dry...haha. I'd love to get rid of it but no such luck. :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I lived in Northern Virginia (outside of DC) for over 45 years, event-free.
    I moved to Central Virginia in 2010, and one year later there's a record earthquake 5 miles from my house!

One of us knew what he was getting into ;)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I've lived in Central Florida for 42 years. Outside of the year that three of them crossed over us, we've done quite well.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We lived in northeastern Florida, aka Jacksonville, FL, for 10 1/2 years. During those years, went thru a few tropical storms, some with a lot of wind and others mostly rain. Also had Hurricane Mathew's outer bands go over us, with not much destruction. But, Hurricane Irma went directly over us and caused quite bit of havoc. Electricity off and many folks lost a lot of refrigerated food. Trees downed and some actually uprooted. The driveways in the complex, was covered with tree branches. A real mess! The dry rack storage, where we had our boat, docks were broken. The St John's River looked like a floating junk yard of picnic tables, chairs and other things. The city of Jacksonville got ahold of a few crane barges to clean up the river with. Heck, there were even some boats, that had been torn away from house docks, sent floating down the river and crashed into some bridges.

We lived in an apartment that was in a No Evacuation Zone, due to the higher elevation of land.

As for us, we were very, very glad to leave Florida and move back to Colorado. Even with the winter's we'd have to endure here.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I really feel for all who endure the effects of such monstrous weather conditions.

7. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Tropical northern Australia cops cyclones.. our equivalent to your hurricanes, every summer. A massive one flattened Townsville last year. Talk about destructive and like most cyclones also caused flash flooding.. as we all saw in New Orleans some years back. Those northerners tho are cluey and a couple of decades ago ensured all new dwellings were built on stilts. Anyone heard of Cyclone Tracy that struck the Northern Territory capital, Darwin on Christmas Eve 1973. A song was penned to mark the occasion.. "Santa Never Made it Into Darwin. A big wind came and blew it all Away".

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  8. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

good morning to all-
    We;re watching a developing tropical system in the Gulf right now. TS Christobal is on the coast of Campeche Mexico and is supposed to cross the gulf and arrive somewhere on our coast this weekend. time to go fill gas cans, get cars filled with gas, buy cases of water, and get ready to tie everything down. I do hope it doesn't develop in the manner of Hurricane Michael. 180 mph hour winds and 10-13 foot storm surge are not fun to deal with.

good day to all- Ed

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Keep us posted !

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Cristobal is traveling through northern Louisiana today,

Hedi Mitchell likes this.