Trying To Change A Town

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have a Thread on a relocation forum asking about Cheyenne, Wyoming.........one the areas we are thinking about moving to. We've been there. In one of my posts, I stated how much wife and I miss wearing our western clothes. We've worn them here, but only a couple of times going to a championship roping at a local equestrian center.

He said to me, "Western clothes don't make a cowboy". I definitely know this from looking at all the guys and ladies in country-western music nightclubs I use to go to in So California, before meeting my wife. Most of them wouldn't know how to bridle or saddle a horse. Doing a 2-step or Texas Swing.......definitely. As for me, I could do all of it and owned a horse at one time. I defended my statement of wearing western clothes as much as I could, by telling him that I use to be in rodeo and have worked at a stock yards.

He replied telling me he was sorry, but way to many "big city" aka (kiddingly) as "city slickers" have moved into Cheyenne, bringing their attitudes and lifestyle with them. Like the movie, City Slickers, showing the talk that Jack Palace (cattle drive boss) had with Billy Crystal, who was on vacation from New York.

I told him the story about Norco, California. Norco was definitely a "horse town" and even an article about it was in Western Horseman Magazine. No sidewalks, one stop light, horses and a few head of cattle. I use to rope at an arena there and the Norco Rodeo was one of the best paying rodeo's there was. But, the same thing, in 2000, was happening in Norco that his guy complained was happening in Cheyenne. People from Orange County and L.A. County, who had absolutely no interest in horses or western stuff were moving in. They wanted to have sidewalks made, get rid of the rodeo and turn Norco into a "big city" type place, where they had come from. The locals/pioneers of Norco, really hated that. "Hate" is a big word, but when people try to change the area you love so much, into something else..........what can be said.

There are people in Cheyenne that wish the rodeo wasn't there each year. The way I see it, "you don't like the lifestyle of an area, move to somewhere else or back to where you came from". Funny, there use to be bumper stickers in So. California that read "I Love New York" and they sure created a controversy with the locals.

Your feelings?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree - if you don't like an area, don't move there
    Wanting to change tradition is not the right way to go at all

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Absolutely agree.

There's too much of people moving from one area to another and instead of embracing a whole new way of life and population they want to turn it into the place they initially moved away from.

We have this a lot here. We live in a rural town 20 miles from the Capital city...quiet sleepy villages all around, where horses and bridleways, even hunting and one church in the village with one shop and one pub has been the way things have been run for hundreds of years...but Londoners are moving in, paying top dollar for their second homes and demanding things change because they don't like it...

For example making demands that the church bells don't ring on a Sunday morning... blocking access to bridleways on the open fields, demanding 24/7 shopping etc, trying to prevent game shooting in the woods... .. etc..I could go on...

If you're a city slicker don't move to the countryside if you enjoy all those city things....just in the same way as no-one from the countryside would move into the city and expect to ride their horse down the main road..or go shooting for game in the middle of the park

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

Bloomin cheek of people :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

All so true!

Since moving here (northeastern Florida), we haven't tried changing anything and really thought we'd like it here. In the beginning we did, sort of, but then we started missing a number of things we did in Colorado that sure aren't here. We are true fans of western/cowboy stuff and that sure isn't here.

Funny, cowboy's here are called "Rednecks", but in Colorado, Wyoming and the Dakota's they are called "cowboys".

I could easily live around dairy farms, because the smell of dairy cows sure beats the smell of wildfire smoke!

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Iowa maybe :D

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My main concern about moving anywhere at my age is that we are not getting younger, everything can become difficult as we age and have mobility problems.

You're good now but you never know when something will hit you and you end up sitting inside anyway ...in your western clothes if that's what you like.

Snow is another thing to think about...I love it and miss it but when I think about driving in it or shoveling it...forget it.

I hate to say it but we're at an age where one day you're fine the next you're in a hospital with a stroke.

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Aye it's a ruddy shame.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Wyoming: Gorgeous state! When I left Chicago for good 45 years ago and moved to Nevada, it tied Wyoming as the least populous states, I believe. Nevada has seen much increase in population over those years, but I don't think Wyoming equals it. Easy to check. At any rate we camped overnight once in July in the Medicine Bow N. F., beautiful place called Mirror Lake. Weather was cool in the evening, delightful. Big dark clouds gathered at dusk, cold wind began blowing, we gathered our cookware up, and retired to the tent. Around midnight, a terrible clatter began, a hailstorm, of all things, hit furiously! Water began dripping in; we were in sleeping bags, but getting cold anyway.

Ever spend half a night in a 1965 Mustang? I later learned, most, if not all, of Wyoming is above 5000 feet altitude.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When I worked for a senior healthcare company in Denver, CO, I talked to a few seniors. Actually, we had centers that seniors would be driven to for medical stuff, recreational things (playing cards, etc.) and a hot lunch before our transportation dept. took them home. Some really wanted to leave Colorado and the winters, while others didn't. They either had family there or just liked living there.

It can seem unreal just how many seniors/elderly folks live in Colorado, Idaho, Montana and the Dakota's. But, they do.

We don't necessarily like "Old Man Winter" either, but there are pros and cons to living almost anywhere. Heck, we still have our winter parka's that we bought in Colorado. Another thing about living in a "snow belt" area, when people are either partly retired or fully retired, they just don't go out into the snow/cold nearly as much.

You have your kids that will take care of you, if need be. All we got is each other, but we sure can do a good job of that, when needed.

Bottom Line: People have to try, and that word "try" is a big word" to live somewhere that makes them happy or at the very least partly happy. We simply chose the wrong state/city to move to, but sure didn't know that at the time we moved. Guess we just had to experience the lifestyle that we really don't like.

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We had visited Yellowstone N.P. and was headed back home to Parker, CO. We stopped at a Holiday Inn Express, in Wyoming, for the night. Our Dodge Durango was two years old at the time. We had parked to the side of the hotel. While in the room, I heard some "tapping" on the window and looked outside. A full-blown hail storm was going on! I ran down to the Durango, trying not to get hit by hail, of which I didn't, and moved it to the front and partly under a cover to the entrance. The motorcycles that were in the parking lot, were now completely under the cover as well. Just couldn't get our vehicle entirely under. The hail stopped as soon as I went inside the hotel. BUT, when I got back to our room, I started hearing the "tapping" noise again. Yep, more hail.

Found out that numerous vehicles in the parking lot had hail damage, including ours. One rental car was really damaged. Our vehicle had something around $3k worth of damage, with a $500 dollar deductible. Damage mainly to the hood and roof.

But, then again, hail can fall almost anywhere.......even here in Florida.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's great that you have each other and I hope you both live to be 98! I always thought my senior years would be enjoying life with my hubby but it wasn't to be, he died when he was 68.

Just be certain that this is what you really want...moves can be very expensive especially out of state.

Good luck.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, until my wife either semi retires or fully retires, my retirement isn't as good as it could be.

Oh, we really, really want to move. The only real thing that would stop us is a serious sickness or something like that. We know a move can be/is expensive, that is why my wife has been going thru a number of plastic storage bins full of paper stuff she's has. Our health, and performance of our boat, will depend on if we have it shipped to wherever we go or sell it before moving. Our 1997 Dodge RAM will be sold also.

Originally, we had our move "mentally" scheduled for May of 2018, but put it off for a year due to some financial things we want to take care of. Plus, we can save more money also.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Funny, there are two threads on the relocation forum that I'm a member of and both of them talk about how the long-time locals and pioneers are getting pretty upset with "back east" and California folks moving to Montana and Wyoming and trying very hard to change the states. They say, "to be accepted, a person has to dress up like a cowboy". Well, yes and no. But, both Montana and Wyoming have always been noted as "cowboy" type states. People don't move to Florida to see big cattle and horse ranches or go to a big rodeo.

My opinion, leave the cowboy states alone.........they don't need any change.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.