Tv Ministries

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joy Martin, May 13, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Because I can't relate to any of the content.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I don't. Too commercial and "big-business", shielded by tax-exempt status.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell

Hey, I'm not an Atheist, but nonetheless would need hell frozen over before I would watch a snake-oil salesman!
    :cool: Frank

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Whaaaa?? You mean you don't want to watch the plea for donations so they can have another mansion? :D

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell

I daresay he won't mind a bit! See, we non-believers do not object to criticism of our beliefs as stringently as do those who are convinced and certain they are right and righteous!

Frank

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher

Well, I figger many of the rich non-believers also have mansions, so I care not to interfere with either's mansion-collecting. I AM irked, however, that the mansions of the soothe-sayers are likely tax-exempt. :mad:
    Frank

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, neither wife nor I are the "Bible thumping" type, but we are both Christians.

What I really wonder (curious) about, at times, is why the members of a church would approve a church budget that pays their Senior Pastor a salary of 1 million dollars a year. That was in the budget for a church we use to attend here. The upcoming church budget, for the last year we attended there, was placed on the sanctuary seating benches along with the church bulletin at a Sunday Service.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh ...because Christianity is mega bucks for those who know how to play it right.

10. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Joyce Meyer. I think she is sensible. If you took God out of her sermons, she is just preaching plain old common sense in dealing with life. I also like Joel Osteen. I don't watch him on TV anymore, usually, as I listen to his channel on SiriusXM. I like his voice and his silliness and his positive outlook. To my surprise, he and his wife attended a SiriusXM concert this past Monday and Lady GaGa was the headliner. I found that interesting.

Emma Smith likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I don't. When I still had television, I would watch Benny Hinn once in a while, but that was more for the comedic effects than anything else. He was a hoot, but it was sad to think that so many people fell for the act. While I am not prepared to say that large-scale television ministries do more harm to the Christian cause than good, I think it's reasonable to consider that some of these people do. I am not so sure that the ministers of the Gospel were ever intended to be superstars or to live the lives of the super-rich. I'd rather listen to a local church pastor who may not be a dynamic speaker, and might not even have his facts right all of the time, than a polished performer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I like Joyce Meyer too. Years ago, before I could watch online, I would get up at 5 am just so I could listen to her before going to work, Her straight forward teaching really helped me through some tough times with my teens,

I also like Joseph Prince a great deal. My husband and I listened to him before my husband died. His sweet teachings just eased the pain of the whole thing.

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I know someone who listens to a preacher on the radio. He sends the preacher money every week thinking that the preacher will have God bless him richly in return. Poor fool.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Preachers are just like any other profession, you have the jewels and you have the jacka$$es. It's up to us to know one from the other.

15. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered