Two Days Ago I Got In My Car

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Babs Hunt, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I was going to pick up my husband at work. Glancing up at my sun visor I thought I spotted something black, so I pulled down the visor and this is what I saw looking straight at me:
    Spider face.jpg
    Thank the Lord no one was behind me...because I stomped on my brakes and wanted to jump out of my car...but instead I grapped the paper towels that were in a cubby hole in my car door and used those towels to sling that spider to the other side of the car!

Ever since a Wolf Spider bit me while I was at my daughter's in Texas I am so scared of spiders now and this one on my sun visor was really scary looking! I knew it proabably was not dead even though I used the paper towel to sling it across the car. And all my interior is pretty much black too so this spider was not going to be easy to find again. But I figured for the moment I had scared that spider as much as it scared me...so I started the car and went to get my husband. I did not tell him about the spider because I had slung it on his side of the car. :) It was raining and cold so when we got home and were safely inside then I told about the spider which he wasn't very happy about either.

I looked up black, hairy spiders online and found the above picture that looks exactly like the spider in my car. It's called a jumping spider and is a pretty common spider that is not really a danger to us...it can bite but the venom is not really posionous...although those with allergy problems (like me) may have a few problems from the venom.

The weather has been to bad since we got back home or I would have taken my vacuum and sucked the insides of my cars out looking for that spider...it will have to be me to try to find it since my husband's vision will not let him see that spider. Today it is raining and snowing so I will not be going near my car...and just maybe that black, hairy, scary, spider will have found it's way out of my car now.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Yikes! just the picture scares me. Put some long gloves on, long pants, long sleeved shirt, high boots and find that spider and relocate it.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness @Babs Hunt -definitely would have needed a calm me down drinkie:).
    About 2010, I was standing outside another apt complex we lived at, surrounded by trees. I felt something on my arm and brushed it off. Next morning I looked
    down at my arm, and was stunned at what I saw. It did not hurt, but looked awful. Somewhat round, but broken places in the skin, then just above the inside of wrist, on top of vein was a hole. Doctor said this was the bite of a white asp, that live in trees.
    Not allowed to cover it up, and working in retail, was a bit intimidating, as I felt like I had leprosy. As it began to heal, the broken places became black embeded places on my arm. It took weeks of healing, and me trying to pick out the black pieces in my arm. The were so deep I had to stop trying. I still have a noticeable scar on my arm.
    A couple of people who saw this was familiar with the design it makes when bitten, and were sympathetic. This is not the bite you want a child to suffer through !

upload_2017-12-8_6-6-14.jpeg there are different one[​IMG]s white and black, both poisonous to many people.

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes @Missy Lee I sure hope to find that spider and definitely will "armor up" for the battle.

And @Gloria Mitchell I certainly can understand what you went through with your bite...I had pain, etc. for months with that Wolf spider bite and it could have been alot worse than it was if I hadn't already been on a round of antibiotic for a tooth that was abcessed.

I never was scared of spiders before that Wolf one bit me and the pain, etc. was so bad. Now I freak out everytime I see one and I really am glad I was not in traffic when I saw that black furry one.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I had posted a picture of my arm as is now...but see if dod not take.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Your arm was on there earlier Gloria...I don't know what happened to it.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't see it when I got on in the morning. :(

That's a scary looking spider @Babs Hunt ...you're braver than I am.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know about being brave...I just have to do whatever I can to make sure that spider is not in my car anymore.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Since the sun is shining bright now my husband is going to be my Knight in Shining Armor and see if he can find that spider in our car. :eek: I hope he does because I have not wanted to get back in my car since that spider scared the heck out of me!

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

oooh for the love of God...I'm not someone who is terrified of spiders, I can pick them up and put them out without too much problem...but if that thing had fallen on me in my car..I would need therapy...*yikes* :eek:

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's definitely the scariest thing I've seen in a long time and I am just thankful I was not in traffic when we laid eyes on each other...because I know I would have wrecked into the other cars trying to get that spider away from me as fast as I could.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive NEVER seen one like that in person @Babs Hunt. We do have a lot of black widows in Fresno though and that's why I pay $75 every other month for Clark's Pest Control. They were just here a few days ago.

Thinking about dropping them though...at first they would spend an hour going around and spraying etc, now it's barely 15 mins and I still see spiders sometimes.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you leave your Soul parked outside at night, it is quite possible that the cold weather has killed that spider. If you have a warm garage to park your car in, then he is probably nice and comfy in there and glad to be inside out of the cold and snow.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We have black widows here too along with the brown recluse and one other spider whose bite is very posionous to humans. I knew that black, hairy spider was none of those...but I had no idea what it was and when it's almost eyeball to eyeball with you...believe me it's scary @Chrissy Cross and all you have time to do is swat it as far away from you as possible.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have a warm garage to park our Soul in...but as cold as it has been the last few days the spider might think hiding in our car's crevices is a lot warmer than being outdoors.

When I looked at images and found the picture of the spider that was staring at me like I was it's Thanksgiving dinner...the info says it can bite but only if it can't get out your way or you sit on it, etc...or in some way "threaten it"...and that it's venom is not really something that will be more than annoying to normal people. To those, like me, who have allergy problems...it's venom can cause more than annoying problems but still these problems are not supposed to be fatal. After being bit by the Wolf Spider in Texas and going through all I did with that bite...when I see a Spider now...especially one that close to me and so scary looking...I'm running the other way as fast as I can!

The one good thing is that the info also says that that spider does it's hunting and mating in the daytime so it's out and about during that time...and only hides away at night. The bad thing is most of my Soul's interior is black and it will be hard to see that spider if he's staying on the black interior.