Two Words: "senior" And "age/number"

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

How do you feel when you are called a "Senior"? How do you feel when your age is brought up?

My wife turned 70 this past January and she doesn't like hearing her age brought up in anything. She will look at me and say "wait until you turn 70, then you'll know how I feel about hearing my age".

This morning she had a very hard time getting up to get ready for work. It really seems like it's getting harder and harder for her to get up. She told me that she had been sleeping hard. I told her that age can have something to do with that.......harder to get up in the AM for work. She let me know that she didn't appreciate her age being brought up again. Her age was brought up in a discussion on how hard work is for her right now. She has been assigned a number of things to do. I told her that by 70 years old, many Seniors are retired. Until we move, she doesn't want to retire. Even with the workload she has, she really likes working.

So, how do you feel about those two things.........hearing the word "Senior" and/or hearing your age brought up in some kind of conversation?

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my... I don't like the word Senior. I prefer chronologically gifted:).
    Granted many things change as we age...but it is not always an age issue.
    I do get tired of everyone blaming everything in my life on my age.Even if it were true. Dont want to hear it.
    Tell your wife she should find snappy come backs to those that push the age issue. Such as yes I'm 70 but I'm not dead yet I can still do this! :D

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, one thing for sure, Gloria, she KNOWS she can still do certain things. I'll be 69 this coming June and I told her that hearing my age wouldn't bother me nor would hearing the word "Senior"., but that's me. In fact, there are times that I actually will bring up my age and/or that I'm a Senior.

Last year I was talking to a lady clerk at a Halloween Costume store and she told me "I'm old" in a conversation and then she stated that she was 55. I laughed and told her, "see me when you turn 68. That's how old I am. You're not that old yet". But, for some reason, she really thought 55 was old.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was about fifty or fifty-one, my wife was offered the senior discount at Denny's, I think it was. However, their senior discount was for people fifty and older, and my wife was several years short of that and, while I was over fifty, I wasn't offered the discount. I still tease her about that one. She was not pleased with the discount, by the way. Now she asks for the discount.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Somersault was it :p

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

I haven't been called a Senior yet
    Don't think it will bother me although I'm not sure on that ...............
    One thing's for sure, I won't be adding the half to my age as some do, like - I'm 71 and a half :rolleyes: :p

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Whereas, when I was ten I would be counting my age months before it occurred, now I have to do math to figure out how old I am.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

As I said to you already elsewhere Cody..I'm fortunate enough not to look old enough yet for people to use words like senior when I'm around ....apart from children, so it's only me that complains about my age when I'm not feeling great or my bones are aching ( I'm 63 next month)..

My husband is 5 years younger.. and he complains more about feeling his age than I do, but tbf he works anything between a a 70 and 80 hour week... so that's enough to knuckle down most people half his age.. but he just gets on and does it, and has no plans to retire early ...

I remember tho' feeling a bit miffed when I was 60 and got a senior rail card... and when I presented it for the first time to use on the train, I expected the ticket clerk to query it..(all my life I've been taken for much younger than I am) ..but they didn't lol...but I just have to accept that at some stage my age is gonna catch up with me.. you just gotta keep yourself as fit and well as possible..

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't mind being called a senior at all. I never expected to live this long, so I just enjoy each day as it comes. I held a big birthday party for my wife when she turned 50; she was anxious to turn 55 because you get a senior discount at the grocery store here. When she turned 60, she told me that she wanted no party as there was nothing to celebrate.

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

I feel that way sometimes too - but its so sad to feel that way so I musn't do it
    People overcome such obstacles in life, I feel I'm being unfair to them

11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

The word senior to me- older bent over in a nursing home and dementia...basket weaving. That is why I dont like the word itself:D

12. Ken Anderson

Did you feel that way when you were a freshman in high school?

Chris Ladewig likes this.
  13. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't mind being a senior at all. Like Don Alaska I never expected to make it this far. What does miff me is when people treat me like old age makes you some kind of handicapped. " you shouldn't be doing that at your age " or " you better take it easy you know your not that young any more ". If I couldn't do it I wouldn't be doing it. I'll stop when I can't.

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Nope....totally different meaning then

15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a short story to tell ...

I was out thrifting and was stuck in an aisle with two other women waiting to get through. My arms were full with my found treasures and one asked where's my cart. There were none and I'm use to it I responded. The other woman looked me over and said, "She has yet to get a few more gray strands." We all chuckled.

Holly Saunders and Ken Anderson like this.