Ugh, Cold

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Joyce Mcgregor, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

It's -4 outside with the sun shining bright enough to blind you with snow on the ground. Bitter cold, brrrrr.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Veteran Member
    Registered

Local weather is talking about a possibility of some flurries and ice on Wednesday. We had snow coming down here in our apartment complex on Christmas Day 2010. I took video of it. If it gets icy here on the bridges, they will be closed down. Believe it or not, there are people here that love this cold weather we are having and actually hope we get some flurries. As for wife and I, we want the warmer (70's) back. If we lived in Colorado, we'd have to put up with the winter weather. Winter is part of that area, not here. If we lived in northern Colorado, we be laughing our butts off at the current weather in northern Florida.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I would love to see snow and ice in Fresno. After the hotter than hell summers and even spring and fall I need a break.

But only if I don't have to drive....driving in rain and fog is bad enough in Fresno...Ice would crippled the city

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It can get hot here, but add on the high humidity here in the summer, and people sweat a LOT here. We don’t mind some high heat, it’s good boating weather (less the humidity, that is).

We won’t be living in a house in Colorado (can’t afford that), so the apartment or condo complex will take care of the shoveling for us. Actually, if we had to, we’d buy another snow blower, like we had there before.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ive been in Florida in the summer...west Palm Beach, Disney World and Key West and yes it's hot and humid and I wouldn't want to live there but I never wanted to live there...

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We were actually drawn here for the boating/water. Unfortunately, boating here is nothing like the boating in Colorado on lakes. Here there is navigational crap all over the place and tides. We've taken two Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Classes and still don't know what we are looking at on the water here. It's ridiculous. IOW, boating in Colorado was much, much easier and better on a boats engine and outdrive (where the prop is). Have found out that brackish and pure saltwater plays heck on those two areas. Even when fresh hose water is run thru the engine, after being on the water, doesn't help much.

Biggest reason we left Colorado is because a fall I had in ice/snow in our driveway caused me to have rotator cuff surgery. Not thinking that either of us could fall anywhere we lived, we moved. One word........mistake.

7. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You're right, although I was thinking more about ice accumulating on trees, power lines, etc. and the potential for power outages.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Harry Havens
    The Missouri Ozarks are well-known for their "ice storms", as they call them. Coatings of ice over 1/2-inch thick and more are common, snapping tree limbs, power lines, and such. Not to mention the roads!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember ice storms in Summerville, SC and although they were beautiful to look at...the reality of what ice storms can and will do...makes them very dangerous indeed.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We had a few ice storms in central Colorado, when we lived there. Beautiful ice formations, but when ice coats things, like tree limbs, it's dangerous. And, in some "snow belt" areas of the U.S., people just simply won't slow down when driving. Accidents all over the place and sometimes deaths.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right about that. Duke Energy does a good job of cutting back limbs and trees over power lines but when the ice is on the lines, there is nothing we can do but hope for the best.

12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Veteran Member
    Registered

New York is being punished for not paying enough carbon tax. The global warming people are saying this is a sign of global warming and if you would have paid enough tax we would have fixed it .

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here's a cute joke I just saw on FB....it may take a while to see it. :)

IMG_1841.JPG

Yvonne Smith and Shirley Martin like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

We're a bit north of there. Generally, we get less snow but more cold. I dislike weather reports that dwell on the wind chill factor but ignore the actual temperatures, as that seems to be fake news, given that they can make up any number they like and call it the wind chill factor. Frankly, I wish they'd just give us the weather forecasts and reports and save the hype for weather that is really out of the ordinary.

Yeah, we had a blizzard but it was no more than what we get every winter, and was actually on the mild side. There was no need to send everyone running to the store to empty the shelves of things that will spoil in a little while. With a snowblower, it would have taken about ten minutes to clear the drive and walk. With a shovel, a bit longer, but not a major issue.

As for temperatures, when it doesn't get freezing cold here in the winter, I might start thinking that global warming is something other than an agenda to get people to agree to things that are against their own interests.

Chrissy Cross likes this.