Ukay-ukay Is Our Used Clothing Store

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Corie Henson, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our version of the Thrift Stores is the Ukay-ukay which is roughly translated to mean ransack. There are racks of clothes piled up and customers just pull and item, check and then return. So you can imagine the mountains of used clothes that you need to ransack in order to get a good one.

Ukay-ukay stores are mostly patronized by those in the entertainment industry. Some movie stars are seen buying clothes there because they say that they need it for their role in the movie. Particularly stage actors, they frequent the used clothing shops because the cost is very affordable. A good enough suit can be had for $5 or used shoes are sold at $1 per pair.

2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it isn't easy to go through piles of clothes. I have tried doing this myself at yard sales. But this can still lead to finding some great stuff if you remain diligent about it. These types of stores sound great to me, right now I don't even have a good thrift store near me unlike when I was younger when there were several in my area. So, now I do go to yard sales. Too bad these type of stores aren't in the United States, I would definitely like to go to one, sounds like something that would interest me. I am always looking for a good bargain.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I envy you Corie. I don't have a lot of thrift stores in my area either, and yours sound like so much fun! My son goes to Goodwill a lot to try and find stuff for Cosplays and performances that he does locally. He would have a blast shopping at your Ukay-Ukay stores. Even the stores we DO have are ridiculously priced, and I rarely find anything that I would wear for everyday.

Corie Henson likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking of cosplay, those young cosplayers here are habitues of the Ukay-ukay because the clothes there are imported. We have lots of cosplayers here who I normally see in the mall during weekends. I believe there is a cosplay contest for a whole month last month.

And Ukay-Ukay stores are not limited to clothes because there are footwear also and some accessories like hats, trinkets, scarves and other things that you wear. There are also Ukay-Ukay stores that sell imported perfume although the cheap ones.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoy going to the second hand stores to see what I can see. Some times I am looking for something but other times I am just looking, it is a form of entertainment for me. I can look thru a pile of clothes if I think I can find something great. We do have a number of second hand stores in my area some of them are priced too high, those are the ones I don't visit often.