Ukrainian Dishes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw in an unrelated topic where Frank Sanoica likes Pierogies!

Well, that makes at least two of us on this Forum!

My mother was born in the Ukraine, and she fixed Pierogies frequently, also stuffed cabbages.

Hal

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never heard of such a thing. They look like they might be good, though.

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I was introduced to pierogis in Detroit. Hello sailor! The old ladies at the churches used to sell homemade ones as fund raisers. Oh, yes. Best in the world, the ones made by the old babushkas.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Mary Robi
    Those are in reality the large kerchiefs worn by mostly the older ladies when in public, whereas "Baba", or plural "Babi" is slang for old woman or women.

Pierogi are very similar to the Czech dumplings known as "Knedlicki", which look thus:

[​IMG]

These look just like my Mother made, only a bit larger. Cut-up, they look like this:

[​IMG]

OTOH, Pierogi look like this:

[​IMG]

If lightly fried after cooking in boiling water (as are knedlicki) they are golden brown:

[​IMG]

Either may have filling of meat, vegetables, commonly sauerkraut, dry cottage cheese, or fresh fruit of various types:

Czech dumplings filled with peach slices (or possibly apricot):
    [​IMG]

Note the white stuff sprinkled on above, likely dry cottage cheese, of this type, containing no liquid at all:

[​IMG]

The most common fruit dumplings made in our home were plain, cut up on one's plate, then sprinkled with dried cottage cheese and that covered with fresh fruit and compote, melted butter drizzled on top:

[​IMG]

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

That's all news to me. I never heard of them either.

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

My Sister in Law make pierogies at the church. They are an extremely popular item and they sell out each week. We eat an healthy amount of Polish food in this house. Pierogi, Gwampki, kielbasa. you name it.! Wife is the first in her family to be born a US citizen. Polish is still the firstlanguage at all family get togethers and events. All church events (weddings,baptisms, comfirmations,funerals are all celebrated in both Polish and English.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Pierogis are an Eastern European staple...like Hot Dogs and Hamburgers over here.

I had a plate of "Mrs.T's" Pierogies last night. These are available in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets.

My wife fried 'em, but I always preferred 'em like Mom used to make, stuffed with Onions and Potatoes and boiled, and served with sour Cream on top.

Another favorite that my Ukrainian Mom used to make was Stuffed Cabbages, with Ground Beef and Rice inside.

Hal

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Peter Renfro
    When I met my wife-to-be, (didn't know it then, of course), she had just turned 16, having moved to America from Germany, where she was born to her Polish parents. At 16, she already had a German Cosmetology License, which proved immediately reciprocal here, so highly was the German-taught trade considered. Her parents had been forcibly relocated to Germany from their homes, to do manual labor for the Reich; they remained there following the War's end, emigrating here in 1963.

After learning a bit of English, it proved daunting to communicate with them all, as there were half-sentences spoken in Polish, German, and a bit of English. I quickly learned those folks had perfected talents to prepare delicious foods using the simplest of starting fodder. Pierogi were one of them.

We cannot readily imagine what hardships such refugees had to endure in a strange country, Germany, during a raging war. Fortunately, all three children, Sue being the oldest, were born after the war ended. She told me once that her father often caught stray dogs and butchered them, so scarce was food for them. Apparently, the German residents thought very poorly of such "outsiders", though they were brought there against their will. Their passports were inscribed "Country of Citizenship: NONE.

Frank

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

My mother, who was from the Ukraine, brought many recipes to America, my favorites being for making Pierogis and Golumpkis.

There may be one or two of you who've heard of these delicious dishes.

Harold

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner

Of course! My Polish in-laws and their daughter, whom I married, were exerts at making both dishes, even spelled similarly. English pronunciation "Pee-err-oh-geez", "Go-womp-kee".
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.