Unbroken

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Gary Ridenour, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

if you haven't seen it I recommend it. a true story of survival during WW2

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've seen the trailer, and I want to see it. I don't get to the movies much, and can't afford to pay for On Demand right now. Hopefully Starz or one of the other channels I pay out the ying yang for will show it soon. FX would be a great candidate for it.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I, too, saw the trailer and am anxiously awaiting it to come out on netflix. I don't go to the movies anymore - way too expensive, crowded, rude people, dirty theaters, etc.

I love these types of "based on truth" inspirational stories. They show the best of human nature and the resilience of spirit. It makes a good contrast to the trash they call "reality" on TV today. Maybe if the younger generation watched more movies like this, instead of the Real Housewives, or whatever, they would be better off.

Diane Lane and Gary Ridenour like this.
  4. Gary Ridenour

Registered

my late dad and uncle served in that war. in the USN so when my war came i had to keep the family tradition going. but i have more of an interest in their war than mine.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

I had uncles who served, and it took a toll on them. They were really young when they deployed. I love that generation, so dedicated, and loved our country like few do these days. I agree, Mal, I only go to the movies for matinees on the few occasions I go, but nowadays, it seems more and more attend matinees, where years ago, I would often be the only person there. I miss the old days.

6. Gary Ridenour

Registered

my dad enlisted right after pearl harbor. he was 17 so had to get permission from his dad who gave it and created a fire storm in the family. he served on a cruiser the USS Philadelphia (CL-41)

[​IMG]

my uncle waited till he turned 18. he flew a PBY Catalina or black cat's as they were called. esort duty and uboat killer

[​IMG]

my late mom worked in a war plant building B-25 Mitchell bombers

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Registered

They're both very handsome. I miss the patriotism and heroism of their generation. We could use more nowadays who appreciate and love this country. Thank God for people like your Dad and Uncle, my Uncles, and everyone else who served, as well as those who stayed home, worked in the factories, and kept the country running for then they returned.

8. Gary Ridenour

Registered

yes i wonder. could we answer that call again??

9. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw "Unbroken" and it was an excellent movie, Gary. It was Very Exciting, and showed his extreme strength and courage, when on the raft for 47 days, and standing up to the horrible abuse that he was tormented with, especially by one of the Japanese navy officers in the prisoner of war camp.

Many thanks for your Dad's, Uncle and Your military service to help keep us safe.

10. Gary Ridenour

Registered

and thank you Pat. its seems now Hollywood is making a lot of movies about this war. and most based on true events