Updating Apple Devices

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Kate Ellery, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a iPad and a Apple IPhone 7 ,I believe because of the new phones / iPads / watches being released into Australia soon there was what I consider a huge update for my devices yesterday To 14.01 operating system

We only have a basic mobile wifi for our internet and while we only have 20g a month we have no excess data charges so in a sense it’s unlimited but very slow ...and just about non existent in the busy tourist / school holiday season ( telcos don’t seem to worry about country residents internet coverage )

I set my iPad to download the 2.2 gig update last night and it had just finished just before I got up at 7 am
    so it took from 10 pm to about 6 am to update .....now of course it has a heap of updating of apps to do

We are both intending getting a new iPhone 12 when they are released about mid Oct at this stage
    as Ron has fancy hearing aids that can be set up and operated through the phone so he can hear clearly in a noisy area such as our dancing ,he can put the phone on the table and it will enhance his heading aids in
    In picking up what others are saying to him while we are seated ,so that’s a plus for him to be involved in conversation instead of sitting there unable to hear

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The iOS 14 was a HUGE update, and at one point my ipad was giving the time left as something like 3 DAYS, and not in hours, but then it skipped back to hours again; but it still took several hours.
    If you were doing the update at a slower speed, it probably took even longer.
    I have an iPhone 11, and I really like it, so I am sure that you will really like the new iPhone 12 when it comes out next month. the camera on mine is truly amazing, and mine is just the basic model of the 11, and not the super deluxe one with en even fancier camera.
    My daughter just ordered me one of the new Apple Watch, Series 6, which not only dies the EKG, but also monitors your blood oxygen. Since I have heart issues and trouble getting enough air, I am looking forward to seeing what the new watch says about my oxygen level.

I have read about the hearing aids that work with the iPhone, and they are supposed to be really great. I think that Apple might have something like that, too; but I don’t remember what it is called at the moment.
    I think that it can work with the AirPods , and does the same ting as what you are talking about when the phone is lying on the table.

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Ron can apparently link his hearing aids with the Iphone , he can control the settings now on his old android phone now ....

but the HA are best suited to Apple phones ,pretty fancy technology actually ...it will be great cause he misses out on such allot of chatting at social venues due to his hearing issues .

I think he intends getting the best phone that will work with his hearing aids but I don’t think that needs to be the top of the line phone .

I’m going to look at the watch as well especially the one that feature the oxygen monitor as I have a bit of trouble with breathing in-the extremely hot weather .

None of Apples new range has been released in Aust as yet its being hinted that it may be ....about Oct 15th

4. Yvonne Smith

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my Apple Watch, @Kate Ellery !
    There is a whole thread about it, so I am not going to go through everything there; but to me, it is one of the best health monitors that a person could ever have. It has a fall alert, so that if you should fall and need help, or even if you are unconscious, it will call 911 and your emergency contacts, and GPS will tell them where you are at.
    Since it is also a phone, if you have the cellular version, you do not even have to carry your phone if you do not want to; and if you were out dancing with your husband and an important call came, you could answer it right from your watch.
    There are all sorts of health apps that work with the Apple Watch, and you can do a really awesome job of monitoring your health by using the apps, and many of them that I use are free.
    The Apple Watch has a setting that locks it up so that it is safe to wear swimming in the water, and I wear mine at the fitness center pool all of the time, and it also tracks my swimming, just like it tracks other activities.
    There are some good YouTube videos that go over all of the features if the new Apple Watch , too.
    Amazon has a great variety of watch bands, and they are easy to interchange, so you can have whatever kind of a look you want with your watch, plus lots of different faces that you Han use on the watch. You can even have your Minnie Mouse face if you want to !

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

I love Minnie Mouse I have one in my / junk / craft / sewing room that was bought from Disneyland in the US D56335CD-8EEF-4DA2-A6FD-209011C57D5F.jpeg

6. Ronni Gates

Ronni Gates Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I set my devices to automatically update at night while I’m sleeping so I don’t really know how long it takes.

7. Yvonne Smith

Here is a video of what the Minnie Mouse face looks like. You probably don’t need to watch the whole video, but it does explain how to change the settings and the appearance of the watch face.
    This is an older video, but setting a watch face is still done the same way. You can see Minnie move and talk.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My iPhone 12 sure holds a charge a lot longer than the iPhone 7 did. The Hotspot doesn't even drain it, as it did the iPhone 7.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We just updated to the new iOS 14.5. I'm liking the improved security and ability to prevent apps from tracking without permission. Finally, something worth upgrading for.

https://bgr.com/tech/ios-14-5-release-date-big-software-upgrade-next-week-confirmed-5921078/
    "Apple has confirmed that we’re just a few days away now from the arrival of a huge mobile software upgrade in the form of iOS 14.5, which has been hotly anticipated for months now and which stands to potentially dramatically reshape the business of companies like Facebook. That is to say, companies that are heavily reliant on tracking users, a practice this new software upgrade should sharply curtail.

According to Apple, all app developers must start following Apple’s App Tracking Transparency framework starting Monday, April 26. That framework, remember, requires developers to get explicit permission from users if those developers want to track those users and their activity across apps. "

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks like iOS 15 is going to be going live soon with a lot of new features. Not sure how I feel about this one, though...

Find lost devices even when turned off – Thanks to the ‘Find My network’, it will soon be possible to track and locate a missing iOS device even if it happens to be turned off.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I've got 14.6

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Me too. That's the newest right now but 15 is coming soon.

13. Yvonne Smith

It is out right now, @Beth Gallagher ! I am updating my phone and iPads, and then I can update my Apple Watch to the new iOS. It looks like it will be another major update like happens every fall.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve just updated my devices Watch / Phone / IPad to 15

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Updated to IOS15

Yvonne Smith likes this.