Us Denies Liability After Boy Is Sprayed By Its Cyanide Trap

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"The U.S. government said an Idaho family is to blame for any injuries it alleges a boy received after he was doused with cyanide by a predator-killing trap that a federal worker mistakenly placed near their home. Any injuries were caused by the negligence of the parents and child, the U.S. Department of Justice said in documents filed Monday in U.S. District Court, and asked for the family's lawsuit to be dismissed."

"Mark and Theresa Mansfield of Pocatello sued in June seeking more than $75,000 in damages and more than $75,000 for pain and suffering."

"They say their son, Canyon Mansfield, was playing with his dog in March 2017 when the then-14-year-old triggered the trap that the U.S. Department of Agriculture placed to kill coyotes. The dog died, and the teen still has headaches from the poison, the lawsuit said."

See: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...lity-after-boy-is-sprayed-by-its-cyanide-trap

This sort of thing just gripes me no end. The device was "mistakenly placed" in the wrong area, a kid was injured who could easily have died, and the Government says it is the boy's PARENTS' fault!

Frank

2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Very sad.

It seems like the right, honorable, and cheapest thing for the government to do is write a check for $150,000.00 instead of wasting more money trying to defend their negligence.

I don't like the idea of these cyanide traps but it seems like the government could/should mark each one with a sign to warn the public of the potential danger.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

With all of the regulations that state and federal governments have placed on citizens, regarding wildlife and the environment, it angers me that the government is free to do whatever it wants, however irresponsible, and with seemingly few repercussions.

I'm thinking of that river that the federal government polluted a few years ago. Had any citizen done that, they would have been ruined financially, and would have probably done jail time.

On topic, it concerns me greatly when state and federal governments put poisons and various vaccinations and drugs out for one target animal, with nothing in place to protect other animals or even people who might be in the woods that day.

When I was growing up, the county trucks would come along the roads, spraying poisons for mosquitoes, without regard for who might be walking along the road, or have their windows open at the time. As we walked everywhere when I was a kid, I was hit several times by these sprays, and there was no way to escape them.

Not long ago, Maine officials sprayed some type of rabies vaccination in the forest, and I was thinking, what about people who were out in the woods at that time, or all of the animals that aren't susceptible to rabies? Most private land in Maine is open to the public, so there are people in the woods often.

They also put some drug into meat that they left in the woods that was supposed to reduce fertility rates in coyotes. What meats do coyotes eat that isn't also eaten by dogs, bears, and any number of other animals?

Now they are genetically engineering various insects to perform different tasks, and releasing them into nature. What problems is this likely to present at some point in the future? Are they going to blame it on climate change?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Why when they put traps out they do not put up a sign what it is for. The animal they are trapping can not read so it would make no difference.

Frank Sanoica likes this.