Using Online Library Apps

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After I returned from the trip to Hawaii, I wanted to read more about the history of the islands, and decided that I would like to read the James Michener book , called Hawaii.
    I have the online library app, Overdrive, on my iPad, and also a new one called “Libby”; but neither one had the book I wanted, except as an audiobook, which I did not want.
    I ended up ordering the paperback version, because it was about $13 to get the Kindle edition. When I got the book, I re-discovered why I like reading ebooks SO much better now....... the type was just so small and hard to read, and you can’t do anything about that in a paper book.
    Plus, it was a thick book, and uncomfortable to try ad hold the book open and read, and I kept losing my page.
    Not only that, but paperback books do not have an online dictionary where you can just hold your finger over the word and get a good definition of it.
    So, the outcome was that I still ended up getting an ebook, but eBay had one as a pdf file for $1 that i could just download, so I am reading that.

I do like the online library idea though, and it is so much easier than using the “real library”, and I never have any overdue books.
    Amazon has the Kindle Lending Library, as well as Prime Reading Library, and of course, the paid version, Kindle Unlimited.
    Usually between those and the Overdrive app, I don’t have any trouble finding books that I want to read, and then if I find that it is a book that I want to keep, I can just buy it. But I am not spending money to buy something just to read for entertainment.

Bill Boggs likes this.