Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I send flowers to my wife's office on V-day, but we never go out to restaurants, as they are too crowded on that day.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, she loves stuffed toys. What can I say, Holly, neither of us act our age. LOL Well, she does at work, obviously, but at home...…..we have fun, like a much younger couple would. Two years ago, we found a Minion (from the movie Despicable Me) named Stuart. He is battery operated and...……believe or not, when touched at the top of his head, he will laugh, fall backyards, fart and then come back up straight. We think Stuart is hilarious, especially the "farting" sound.

Saving every penny…….who said that?? Heck, we have to dish out almost $500 on a new inside drivers door panel, because the handle, that is pulled to open the door, broke. The entire door panel has to be replaced and I don't do stuff like that. Then, our vehicle will need new shocks and possible new breaks. Our boat trailer will need four new tires and have it's brakes checked.

The diecast cars were $41 dollars for both. Extremely good looking cars for that cost on Amazon. Just paid almost $500 for new hearing aids for me. After my wife's next eye exam, she will most likely need either new eyeglass lenses or new glasses period. That will be around $400 or so dollars, even with vision insurance.

I won't go on with the rest of the list of stuff we will need to buy, before we leave.

Heck, our 18 year Wedding Anniversary is next month and that will definite be a dinner out and ………..

My wife completely assures me that we will "financially" be able to move. When the company she works for lays her off, she will get a Severance Package, like a former co-worker, that use to work in the same department, did just yesterday.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

We take ourselves out for breakfast on Valentine's morning.

We stay home for dinner eating whatever hits us as a tasty idea then we have our favorite chocolate cheesecake cherry pie.

For us it's just an excuse to indulge .. it's Valentine's day for us every day :)

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My Honey and I always get each other cards and we enjoy finding the one that expresses exactly what we're feeling for each other. It's getting harder for my Honey though to read the cards with his vision problems and I also have to bring him to the store to find one for me since he can't drive anymore. I told him maybe we should just stop the card thing now....but he doesn't want to do that and as long as he can bring his magnifier with him to read the words I guess we will continue with our tradition. When I bring him now I just go shopping for a little while in another part of the store so I won't see what he picks until he gives it to me. Besides that he buys me a favorite candy bar and I get him his Reese's peanut butter cups.

Neither of us like going out to eat but we do like to order in or go pick up an order of something we want and then eat it together at home. Neither of us cares for crowds and on Valentine's Day there will be a crowd everywhere.

One year he got me a bear holding a heart that said "I love you" because I told him I would like one that the grandkids could play with when they came over. One of our grandkids ended up loving that bear and taking it home with him/her...can't remember now who it was.

Valentine's Day is every day for us too so we keep the actual day simple.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Actually, my wife seen the bear, hold the Heart that says "LOVE" on it, at Walmart and mentioned to me how much she liked it. Went down to Walmart the next day, while she was at work, and bought it.

Everyday is Valentines Day for us as well, but we still like celebrating the day, and, even though there are crowds/waiting times at nice restaurants to contend with, we still like eating out. We do the "take out" during the week a few times.

When I was single/divorced, I disliked Valentines Day as well as New Years Eve night. Heck, I really didn't even celebrate any national holiday. That all ended when I met my wife. Thank the Lord!!

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We do not mess with all that Expected stuff and seldom have.We try and treat each other through out the year...with surprise and that means alot more to us.
    My mother passed away very unexpectedly on Valentines day 21 years ago..not my best remembrance holiday

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Tomorrow is valentines’s day. For twenty-five years or so I gave a box of chocolates to my daughter, my mother, my mother in law,and my wife. Merely a reminder I loved them. I suppose I do that because I’m not good with words and maybe because my mother in law lived with us for almost eighteen years.

When mom and then Ann’s mom passed on I continued to give a box of chocolates to daughter, Denise, and my wife. By then it had become a tradition, I suppose. My daughter moved to Austin some ten years ago and I dropped her off my list. Instead I call her or now days send her an email on Valentine’s morn. Nothing special, merely a note to remind her I love her.

Eight years ago we moved to Oklahoma where my son’s family live. We didn’t know our grandkids and they didn’t know us. My daughter in law is Italian and by the way became an American citizen last Thursday after twenty years teaching here in the U. S. at the University of Texas in Austin and now for the last twenty years at the university of Oklahoma.

When we moved here come February 14, I started giving a box of Chocolates to my granddaughter and to my daughter in law. Today, I picked up my three boxes of chocolates for my daughter in law, my granddaughter, and my wife and I add a couple of surprises this time for my grandson and my son. I also got me a dozen jawbreakers to pacify me when I get restless. It is an annual treat I give my self.

This writ has no purpose. I started doing this on an impulse many years ago and it has grown to something of a tradition. After a while my wife would remind me with something like, “Next week is Valentine’s Day, you need to get your girls a Valentine.” This year she said nary a word and i know she’s wondering if I will remember or if I’ve lost it. Not to worry, it has become habit. I know of nothing more to say except, I hope all the ladies on this forum have a special day tomorrow on February 14. Wherever you are, Happy Valentine’s Day.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our Valentines Day gifts came in, and they look great. Mine is a 1956 Chevy Bel Air and hers is a 1978 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. Will buy two plastic display cases for them, so we can "show them off" and so they won't collect dust.

No candy, but dinner out tonight.

Sent each other a nice Valentines Day card thru e-mail.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, to explain my gift I have to go back to yesterday.
    Our HVAC system went down sometime yesterday morning. It’s still cold here in north Alabama so I looked into the matter and after a short review, I need a starter capacitor for the fan motor in order for the whole thing to work.
    I won’’t be able to replace the thing until sometime today which means that I woke up to a fairly cold house this morning. (around 3:30 AM).
    We do have a fireplace looking thing which is also a TV / stereo stand in the living room which does heat the room but can’t possibly heat the rest of the house much less the bathroom.

Do Note: I woke up to a cold house and a very cold bathroom which is actually the center of my attention. After all, one does not enjoy sitting on a cold commode seat first thing in the morning especially before having coffee. I just do not like the sudden eye opening wake up call when my backside hits cold. I‘d rather have the warm and ease into the day.

With all that in mind, a little while ago I grabbed a small space heater and placed it in the bathroom just so my wonderful wife will not have to suffer the cold seat (as I did) when she makes her appearance this morning.

A show of love can come in many forms so, Happy Valentine’s day Babydoll!! :)

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Happy Saint Valentine's Day to all you Lovers!

Hal

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

We had our dinner out the night before Saint Valentine's Day, as the restaurants would be too crowded on Feb. 14.

Hal

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We had a nice Valentines Day dinner last night and the restaurant (Ruby Tuesdays) wasn't crowded at all. In fact, no line...…..we were seated immediately.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is my most favorite restaurant !
    I love their salad bar. They used to have delicious cheeseburgers, but then they changed their menu to little slider-things instead (I hate sliders !) so I didn’t enjoy that so much.
    Bobby doesn’t like Ruby Tuesday, and we have not been there in several years, so maybe by now they have completely re-done their menu and brought back those wonderful cheeseburgers that they used to have ?
    What did you guys have for your Valentine’s Day dinner ?