Vaping

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tom Young, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Tom Young

Tom Young Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The subject is in the news 24/7... usually with the statement that 5 teens have died.

Your thoughts on the subject?
    ???????????????????????????????
    ? - Is 5 deaths the worst of it?
    ? - Age limits to buy?
    ?- Prescriptions? for cigarette withdrawal?
    ?- Laws? How? How long to enact?
    ?- FDA and other government health bodies involvement?
    ?- Shut down Manufacturers?
    ?- A serious health problem? for all? for the young?
    ?- Campaign finance contributions from manufacturers?

Money coming from the opioid settlements will not go to victims for rehab or burial, but to the states... usually to the Attorney General of the state for whatever use he determines... roads, pet projects etc.
    The question is... "If lawsuits begin for Vaping health costs, should they be handled the same way as the opioid settlements, or go directly to the victims to pay for their health or withdrawal problems."

Or maybe this is just media overhyping?
    Anyone?

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I think all the companies should pull their products off of the market for now until they get to the bottom of this. Obviously, there is a big problem. I have NO IDEA why it is legal for teens to vape or buy energy drinks. It makes no sense to me.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems that the teens have all died recently. Why? What has changed with the e-cigarettes? They should pull them off the market until they know why.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tom Young Perhaps it is the media "over-vaping"........
    Frank

Ken Anderson and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Frank Sanoica , I dunno. If one of the youngsters was my grandson, I would hope the media would be shouting it from the frontpage. One is too many.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Understood! My thinking is, this stuff has been on the market for quite a long time now, what, a decade? Millions upon millions of folks must have tried it, continue to use it, and the publicly known disastrous results have been very infrequent. As with any contrivance conceived by the human mind, then built and assimilated, some small number are bound to fail, and some health related issues may not be recognized for a long time.

Example: Billions of passenger-miles are flown annually high in the sky, and a few will beyond question fall to the ground. No gettin' away from it.
    Frank

7. Shirley Martin

Registered

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Dunno. Maybe certain powerful entities are at work in the background to disparage the trend, and encourage use rather of tobacco.
    Frank

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Then they need to be exposed. If I was vaping. I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Apparently 450 + have gotten the lung disease and 6 have died. Mostly males and of various ages and locations. I don't understand why a BRAND name hasn't been announced since there are quite a few. Either way though, until it's clear what is going on, I agree with @Shirley Martin , it needs to be pulled off shelves.

Frank Sanoica and Shirley Martin like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a suspicion it will be traced to a certain company, either one making the vapes (or whatever you call them), or one who produced the flavoring. Didn't they say at least most of them were using a marijuana flavoring?

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't been keeping up, but my husband said earlier that many of them were using the THC or whatever the marijuana juice is. :D

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

JUUL, a vape company, has introduced legislation to prevent minors from buying their products. It may seem to be a small token type of thing since it comes in the wake of some lawsuits directed at the company for selling vape equipment and flavored nicotine to minors.
    In defense of the company though, they do not have any control over the stores which sell theirs and other company’s vaping products.

Now, as to the question of artificial pot being sold as a vaping product, I’ve provided a link which verifies the existence of such which might be a real clue as to why the teens are flocking toward the vape equipment.

Note: I do not know anything about other states but here in Alabama, artificial weed is sold over the counter at nearly every convenience store in Huntsville. There has been a few deaths linked to the product but so far as I can see, nothing is being done about the sale of the stuff.

https://www.medicaljane.com/categor...consuming-cannabis/vaporization/#introduction

Bess Barber and Nancy Hart like this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole "........artificial weed is sold over the counter at nearly every convenience store in Huntsville."

Artificial? I did not know they can synthesize the Cannabinoids, thought it had to be expressed out of the plant. Not too surprising, though. From a marketing standpoint, growing plants is a "flighty" thing, less predictable than synthesis, where the unknowns regarding future demand are less important. Instead of months to grow more, only minutes necessary?

Tell me IYO, since the stuff is so widely available now, presumably more folks are "using" than before: have the dire predictions regarding intoxicated driving, violence, and such, materialized? Definitely NOT saying I condone it.
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m probably not going to win any friends over it @Frank Sanoica, but the driving issue is the one element of focus when folks talk about legalizing pot.
    Unless a person is stoned beyond all recognition, the cops have no accurate measurement in order to say....you’re getting a DUI. Until there is a way to give something as accurate as a breathalyzer for the drunks, I am totally opposed to legalizing pot except for extreme medical purposes. And, as for the synthetic stuff, pot is illegal because it’s still called a controlled substance but so is the derned sythetic weed that all these kids have been getting sick and even Over Dosing over and it’s legal.

As of this day, I haven’t checked with a friend of mine who owns a convenience store as to whether the vape pod version of it has made it’s way to his store but I’ll try to remember it for tomorrow and get his input and possibly some stats.
    I do imagine there is still a stigma attached to the vape or raw synthetic for blunts because one probably wouldn’t want to be buying it in front of a cop and then getting into one’s car.
    But then again, there’s no law against vaping unless there’s a sign on the door so smoke away dear pot head, smoke away.....ay...ay....ay....(echo)

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.