Vatican Takes Refugees

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Pope Francis brings 12 Syrian refugees to Vatican I think they have to do it to stop people from saying you are not doing anything.

2. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

I applaud the pope for his compassionate stance.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

yet he has his wall and tells us not to build ours. thought his job was sin not politics?

4. Gary Ridenour

Registered

the Catholics i know wanted him to pack it in and go home

5. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm. Seems many Canadian Catholics feel diffently.

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Speaking as a long-lapsed Catholic, I have to say I'm reasonably impressed by a lot of things Francis has said and done since he's been in the job. If he carries on much longer, he'll be in danger of giving the Catholic Church a good name.

Isn't it just so heartwarming to see the caring compassion been given by some people to those who must be desolate?

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I tend to agree that the papal duty is to tend to his flock. I wonder how these Muslim people will feel surrounded by these elaborate Christian trappings.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

In my opinion whatever your views on the Pope, the Vatican, the Catholic church and religion in general, the symbolic gesture that the Pope made, is to remind us all of a first Christian principle, showing compassion to fellow humans in distress, and is to be applauded.

I am not a Christian but I broadly agree with Christian principles, which are largely humanitarian, and feel that any true Christian would agree with this gesture the Pope has made.

In my opinion making offensive remarks about the Pope is both rude, and disrespectful to followers of the Catholic religion.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

You can bet your paycheck the pope's refugees were super screened first, not like the ones we would get.

10. Tessa McCabe

Tessa McCabe Veteran Member
    Registered

I always liked Pope Benedict. :)

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is what my thoughts are, too. We have all seen the pictures and videos of the supposed refugees that are mainly muscular young males who in no way look like a refugee.
    Since the controlled-news media wants to make their point, anytime they show this on the news, they will do like the ones "taken in" by the Vatican, and be sure that there are women and children and not men.
    Many have suggested that making a safe place for refugees in their own part of the world would work better, and this seems like a good plan to me as well.
    This comes back to the overpopulation issue, which I believe we have discussed before. These countries get overpopulated, and then there is no way for the people to grow enough food; so the resst of the world (think US) sends supplies to keep people from starving.
    This keeps people alive , and then they reproduce, and the population continues to grow, so we have to send even more food as that happens.
    Finally, we get to the place where it becomes unfeasable to supply food for all those people, and then they want to go elsewhere, which is part of the problem we have right now.

12. Tessa McCabe

Tessa McCabe Veteran Member
    Registered

Surely rich Saudia Arabia should offer some help.

13. Gary Ridenour

Registered

its a bad idea. when the terrorists see these Muslims associating with this infidel pope they'll hunt em down and kill em all. that's what happened when Obama went to the ME and delivered his speech of peace. after he left it was a blood bath

Sheldon Scott and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

I think Pope Benedict made a humanitarian and Christian gesture of helping these people in need. I guess sometimes people see what they want to see. I am not Catholic, but I do like and respect this Pope and his efforts.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have no doubt that the two refugee families who were accepted into the Vatican were screened at least as well as someone being nominated for a cabinet position. I am not Catholic so I have no strong opinion on the actions of the Pope. He seems to be saying the opposite of that which is suggested in Proverbs 3:5-6, which says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding." That's something for Catholics to work out but I don't think I would continue attending a church whose pastor told me that if it feels good, I should do it. Someone else said something similar once, but I don't think it was from behind a pulpit.

But the topic of this thread is about the refugees he has taken in. I wouldn't equate the Vatican taking in two heavily vetted refugee families with the Pope's insistence that the rest of us take in hundreds of thousands of the ones he wouldn't take in.

In largely every other issue, we are told, here in the United States, that we should have separation of church and state. In light of this, his opinions about whether or not our government takes in refugees should be fully ignored by those who represent us. Our business is not his, and his opinion should hold no weight on our nation.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016