Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, May 23, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

While at my daughter's we ate out three times.

When I got there Monday, we ate at the out door mall in Monterey...I had a portobello mushroom veggie sandwich.

It's all veggies but I bet the calorie count was high...lots of avocado, pesto olive oil etc but so good and filling I didn't eat dinner that night. My daughter cooked dinner ...her in laws arrived that afternoon. They were amazed that I wasn't eating dinner....my daughter told them I don't like her cooking. :)

On Tuesday we ran some errands and had lunch out and I had fish tacos (3) but only ate one of the tortillas and had all the toppings on the side and just put a little on each.

That night after graduation we ate out and I had the Sea Bass...DELICIOUS. Came with some grilled asparagus and maybe 3 tiny potatoes...some kind of sauce too.

So...no meat.

This is the sandwich...it also comes with sweet potato fries. :)

IMG_2254.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith I need to cut out things like junk foods. Chips are a big weakness. All this going on with my stepdad is not helping my bad eating one bit.

I know that mock meats, cheeses are becoming more available. I do eat less of them than I used to. Easy to find in grocery stores where years ago what could be found was in health food stores only. I can get what I'm looking for usually at safeway or Winco foods, what I don't buy at Trader Joe's. For example Amy's brand refried beans. I can find them in just about any grocery store now. That's my favorite refried bean brand.

Yes some of these foods are more expensive. It does make me sad to think a package of plant based hot dogs can cost more than meat ones. That's what that animals life was worth.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    How about taking off those shades so we can see yer eyes, then, Shirl! Ha!!
    Frank

4. Kitty Carmel

Registered

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Cats are definitely meant to be carnivores, @Frank Sanoica , and their food processes through their gut system much faster than either a human, or a herbivore, such as a cow, which has an even longer digestive system than humans do.
    While it is true that meat does have all of the necessary amino acids that we humans need, it is also true that it is hard for our body to extract those proteins properly from meat, and we are able to use the proteins that come from plants much better than we can the proteins from meat.

It seems that we are educated to believe that eating animal products is the healthiest way to live, but a lot of that education is actually coming from places like the cattle, chicken, and hog ranchers, as well as the egg and dairy industries.

Here is an interesting video that goes into the connection between eating meat and the epidemic of ED that has become so prominent nowdays.

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Vegetarians have many different group they eat basically vegetables and some eat, fish, eggs, butter, milk, or cheese but vegans only eat vegetables.
    Vegetarians are generally good people but vegan become preacher and think they know it all.
    I have spent a lot of time interviewing people who are over 100 years old lots here in the D.R. to find what they eat have never found a vegan who was over 100 years old.

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    Your post above has nothing whatsoever to do with vegetarianism, as far as I can tell. Talk about the "kettle calling".......

I suspect your post is just your way of "lashing out" at a meat-eater. Shame on you for being so self-centered!

I won't even alert anyone else to this post; perhaps they'll miss it.
    Frank

EDIT: Or perhaps I should have PM'd you instead. Oh, well, cat's out of the bag now!

9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I found the video interesting, Yvonne. I don't disagree with the main points, but I certainly have opinions based on personal experience. I think meat needs vary with age, and as we age we require less protein in our diets. I think women generally require less complete protein than men. As I may have brought up before, when I was in college, we occasionally had "steak throws", which were all-meat meals cooked (some) on an open fire. When women were brought into the mix, we found that most women couldn't tolerate an all-meat meal, but when potatoes or bread were added, even in small amounts, they were fine. I think this varies with the individual, of course, and I think young women athletes probably require more protein than sedentary men. Anyway, my wife and I became ovo-lacto vegetarians shortly after marrying, and remained so for about 2 years. We started eating meat again when she got pregnant, as I believed that maintaining adequate B12 and folate levels sufficient to maintain a healthy pregnancy is very difficult without animal protein. Supplements could do the job, but we were very anti-pill at that stage of our lives, as well.

In any case, we are both much older now, and, while through most of our lives together, I ate much more meat than she did, that has changed now, and she eats far more meat than I do and CAN eat all-meat meals. The quality of meat has also changed. Domesticated livestock raised for food are generally pumped full of hormones, mostly estrogen analogs, to make weight gain faster. During most of our life in Alaska, our animal protein has been derived either from wild fish or wild game that contained no added artificials of any kind. I think some, if not all, of the "loss of manliness" mentioned in the video may have resulted from those hormones. Of course, commercially-grown fruits and vegetables are sprayed with herbicides and pesticides which also often have "estrogen terminals" which simulate female hormones. The female hormones and like substances in our diets have perhaps contributed to earlier menarche and general "feminization" of men, including the ED and lowering sperm counts.

I would like to see a study that accounted for changing needs by, age, sex, and activity level before writing off so many issues to simply eating animals. I do, however, believe that those of us over 50 should eat less meat and more plant products.

Sorry for dragging it on so long.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Ken Anderson
    And, well-said! I eat my veggies dutifully every single night (almost), but would never refer to any class of foods in a negative way to others. At the same time, I don't believe "meat is murder", either.
    Frank

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Come now. Vegetables are not worth fighting over.

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Hey, I just had another thought. Hopefully not prolonging this childishness, but isn't there a difference between vegetarianism and "vegan", wherein vegan implies no meat at all, and vegetarianism may include poultry and fish as "non-meats"?

If this is so, and the OP is titled "Vegetarianism", why did salmon become such an issue?
    Frank

13. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Frank Sanoica Not lashing out. I refer you again to the title of this post. It would not include discussions of eating salmon.

14. Kitty Carmel

Registered

This is not childishness. I'd suggest a google search for information.

15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

This has become a rather upsetting thread. I don't think I've ever exclaimed "shame on you" to anyone or resorted to any name calling. Like the salmon thread, I'll stay out of this one also.

Sometimes I wonder why people lash out. It's like the lady who told me on the phone I was "tattling" when I called her back to inform her that a member of their cat group admitted to me by phone that he abandoned the small colony that is located behind my workplace. Instead of being upset with him, she lashed out at me.

Frank Sanoica likes this.