Velveeta, Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love Velveeta cheese ! Yes, I know that it is fake, and processed, and all of that; but I have always liked Velveeta. Now, I even like the "fake Velveeta" if there can be such a thing as a fake "fake cheese".
    When Velveeta first came out, years ago, we bought it because it was a cheap alternative to buying real cheese.
    Now, it is as expensive as regular cheese per pound.
    It used to be that the store band versions of Velveeta tasted more like soft plastic than they did cheese; but those have improved over the years, too, and are almost the same as real Velveeta.
    Usually, Velveeta is almost $7 for the 2 lb loaf, the store brand is close to $6; but when we went to Aldi the other day, they had their brand for under $4, and I got a loaf of it.
    Since I am still finishing the last loaf of fake cheese, I have not tried the Aldi's brand of processed cheese yet; but I am hoping that I like it as well as the others, since it is much, much cheaper.

I use it on sandwiches, in salads, and melted over cauliflower or broccoli, and add some to a package of mac and cheese whenever we have that for dinner. Who else like Velveeta (or its look-alikes)?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Velveeta sometimes for certain recipes. There is a Kraft Superstuffed Potato that calls for Velveeta or some kind of meltable cheese. It is also good for Nachos and grilled cheese. I know one time I got a deal on it on Amazon, and was looking for ways to use it. There are a number of recipes that call for Velveeta or it's equivalent. You can even use it in a fudge recipe and I think the fudge would be good, but very rich, and full of fat.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I just have one question for Velveeta “WHAT ARE YOU?!”
    [​IMG]

Cheese Flavored Prodcuts That Will Make You Wish You Didn’t Exist

4. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I had to eat so much of it when money was short I have a hard time with it now.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very happy to say I don't know a single one of those revolting looking cheese products Joe....and I also demand to know what mad creator decided to make a Cheese Kit-Kat?? Ye Gods and little fishes !!!!...sacrilege :eek:o_O

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So, we both had the same experiences, and came out with the opposite feelings about Velveeta, @Chris Ladewig . Back when it was still a cheap product, we were pretty broke, and that was as close to real cheese as we could get usually, and even that was a treat, since it was some kind of cheese on a plain bologna sandwich.
    It is strange how some of the foods that were considered cheap back in the olden days, have now become more expensive ones.
    Chicken wings is a greaat example of that !
    I remember when chicken backs/necks were the cheapest, then the wings, drumsticks, thighs, and finally the breasts were the expensive parts of a chicken.
    Consequently, my favorite part of chicken was the back part of the back , which had the "part that went over the fence last" on it. That was what we could afford for chicken most of the time.
    Now, they cut chicken differently, and the back and ribs become part of the thighs and breast sections, and of course, cost a lot more.
    Once Buffalo wings became a favorite, the cost of chicken wings simply skyrocketed, and now they cost about the same price as the breast meat does.

Bobby (the fount of all knowledge) says it is because they use Velveeta as a dip when watching the footbal games, that it has become so expensive.
    Not ever having watched a football game, let alone while having Velveeta dip, I survived all these years and missed that important fact.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I must say no to velveeta. I don't like "American" cheese either.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

From what I remember, Velveeta was here since I was a child. If my memory serves me right, my mother used to buy that. And Velveeta has flavors and 1 flavor that I liked was ham - there were bits of ham in the cheese. I didn't know that it is synthetic cheese or imitation because it tasted like real cheese. I'm not sure if there is still Velveeta in the market. When I married, we were always buying Kraft cheddar cheese and I also like it. But there is one cheese here called Eden which is soft-melt and good for toasting burger. But it is pretty expensive.

9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to like Velveeta and also Cheese whiz, but the high sodium content has them off limits for me now.

10. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

A big fat NO from me, I don't think I've ever really tried it on its own unless it was in some Mac and cheese product
    Or poured on nachos....crap my grandsons eat and I've tasted or made for them but as for just buying velveeta myself or having it ever as a child....nope.

I've had goldfish but don't know what's used in them, also never but them for myself bit have had them when visiting all grandsons as they all seem to like it.

True about chicken wings, sure cost a lot now days and I do like them! In fact I love them but something I eat rarely.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think that Velveeta is terrific for grilled cheese sandwiches and nachos but my wife won't let me buy it, and I haven't had it in several years.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Sheldon Scott and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If your wife agrees, maybe she'll let you get some. :).....velveeta.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Velveeta was always just a bit too expensive for me. I love Safeway.com $5 Friday's cheese for I get to get deli cheese all kinds of variety on sale and I do treat myself with delicious deli cheese on Fridays! I love the cheapest 6 count mini baby bell cheese I can get for 3.98 here in Honolulu at Ft. St. Mall Walmart. I love cheese and Safeway got everyone beat for cheese sales so far! Check out their website for weekly specials. You'll need a free to get safeway card and safeway.com account. I'm a cheese lover too. :)

Joe Riley likes this.