Venice Mayor Blames Climate Change

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Craig Wilson, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Venice mayor blames climate change for city's devastating flood
    The mayor of Venice blames climate change for severe flooding in the historic Italian canal city reaching the second-highest levels ever recorded, as financial costs are expected to run to hundreds of millions of euros.

The high-water mark hit 187cm late Tuesday (local time), meaning more than 85 per cent of the city was flooded. This is the second biggest flooding of the iconic water city in its history.. the last being the devastating floods of 1966.

So if the same disaster happened over a half a century ago why then is the mayor now blaming the current flooding on climate change?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

He can't blame it on Trump? :)

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I think the debate is more between climate change (forever) -vs- climate change (cycle). However, when cities and villages are obviously going under water, I don't suppose it really matters why it happened or how long it will last. It IS happening and we can look for ways to slow it down or hope people have enough sense to move inland. It is sort of like the people who build pole houses on Florida's barrier islands, then get all upset when the hurricane comes and their houses float away. When you live near the ocean, there is always a possible accompanying cost.

Sad about Venice though. It has a wonderful and interesting history. I think it's a totally magical city.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The fact that Venice is built on a series of islands has nothing to do with it, of course, nor does the fact that much of the city was built at sea level. No, that has nothing to do with it. Venice is flooded because I don't drive an electric car.

5. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes. I spent three interesting days there in the early 80s. I almost got lost in their narrow back streets tho and only just made my coach trip.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

:D

Shirley Martin likes this.