Very Interesting News / Suggestions For Our Area

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Local newspaper, the Reporter-Herald, receives phone calls here from citizens suggesting things. This is a comment the Editor of one suggestion:

Someone on Oct. 2rd, called in with this:

Suggestion for police (Loveland P.D.): Asked that police hang out (near) bars and pull over people that are leaving. The Editor states this: I would suggest that the police hang out outside of retirement communities and pull over elderly people driving out of them that don't have the motor skills to drive anymore, that are impairing drugs and that pull out in front of people going fast and keep those elderly people off the road.

Yesterday, while leaving a Post Office, we did see an elderly man pull out in front of an oncoming vehicle. The oncoming vehicle was far enough away from the guy that nothing happened, except for the driver of the oncoming vehicle shook his head towards the elderly guy.

Don't think we have problems here between the kids and Seniors...….oh yes we do!

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Police hang out around bars here for years and do catch drunks. But do not think a main priority for them.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

What the editor is saying is somewhat true. My mom takes heavy pain medications and STILL gets in her car to drive to the grocery store. :confused:
    Many times people think a DUI is for Driving while Under Intoxication. It is not. It is Driving Under the Influence....of anything which could impair your vision or your response time. This can even include over the counter cold medications. So, for their safety, as well as the rest of the folks on the road, they probably should be checked out from time to time the same as the rest of the motorist.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A great place for someone suffering from paranoia.

Pull out of the retirement community whilst trying to get to the bar, the cops are waiting.
    If ya make it to the bar and stay too long, the cops are there too.

Now, if there is a police cruiser sitting outside the place where ya score your meds, it probably isn’t a good idea to take the meds whilst they are watching. Everyone knows that seniors score the good stuff.

Nor......is it a good idea to take a hit off of that dooby ya just bought at the potajuana emporium whilst the police are sitting in the car next to yours. Today’s seniors are 60’s’s pot heads.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My SIL (wife's youngest sister) was diagnosed as schizophrenic, when I met my wife in 2000, but still had a valid California DL and drove. Pretty much shocked me. And, she wasn't a Senior yet.

What I (personally) think, the younger generation of this city is picking on Seniors, not just for their driving skills, but because the Seniors here want the city to be like it was 10+ years ago and the younger generation say "isn't going to happen". "Either sell your home and leave or put up with the progress and us."

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

QFT.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank goodness I neither drink alcohol nor take illegal drugs.. I'm always the designated driver, but I don't mind!!

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    I'm not sure being happy has anything to do with the location where you live anyway. Just enjoy what you do enjoy and ignore the rest. I'm still content in Jacksonville, FL. and I live nowhere as safe an area as where you were living here. Not as scenic either. :D

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was pulled over after leaving a bar when it closed at 2:00 am. They made me do the field sobriety test and everything. I don't think they had the breathalyzer equipment yet, but I was asked to touch the tip of my nose with my right index finger, and then my left, and to walk a straight line, pivot, and walk back. I think I even had to recite the alphabet backward. However, although I had left a bar at closing time, I hadn't had anything to drink that had alcohol in it, because I didn't drink. the closest thing to beer that I had had was root beer. I had gone there with people from our labor union administration. Had they pulled over any of the other cars leaving that bar, they'd have found someone who would fail their tests, but they pulled me over instead.

I think most police departments discourage this type of traffic stop today, because they are making assumptions based on where you are coming from rather than anything based on your driving. If it became known that a police department was targeting senior retirement communities, I don't think the optics would be good.

10. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson I think our generation is possibly the last who still have a healthy respect for law enforcement. The younger folks have no regard for them at all. It's a shame, but with social media, so much is shared which is only part of the story.

11. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Biker bar in Florida:

[​IMG]

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What the seniors want is a town to be 10 years younger whilst they themselves wish to be 10 years younger doing the same things they were doing 10 years ago and can’t manage to do now.

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

What all the Young Ones don't realize is--
    We were here before they were- and if they don't shape up soon- many of us will still be here when they are Gone.
    :D

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hence the motherly warning to her young upstart: “ I brought you into this world and I can take you out”!

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Sure it does...…..being happy where a person lives. Same thing as being happy where a person works. If neither are happening, life isn't nearly as fun as it could be.

Many, many people in Jacksonville completely ignore the crime that is in certain areas. As for my thinking, those folks just plainly like-to-love the income they get, so they stay. Lots of people in Jacksonville love going to restaurants in the Town Center, as well as shopping there. Jacksonville is very diverse, a thing we don't care about. Here, if people want that kind of diversity, they are told to live in/around Denver...…….definitely not in the northern part of Colorado.

Nancy Hart likes this.