Video Conferencing

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you have and use one of these: Skype, Cisco, Zoom or any other one for "live" talk/video with family and/or friends? Apparently these video conferencing websites have become even more popular now, with the "Stay At Home" thing going on.

We are seriously thinking of getting Zoom, so we can talk "live", with "live" video, with my wife's sister. She has Zoom on her laptop. The other day she told me, on the phone, that she had a "live" video conversation with her daughter and granddaughter.

What do you think?

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Go-to-Meeting is less than $20 a month. My wife uses it with her recovery center and I was thinking it would be something that would be great for families. She tried Zoom but found that people had less trouble signing onto Go-to-Meeting. A whole bunch of people could be on at the same time.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Zoom costs nothing for small video conferencing...…….basically two or three people.

4. Ken Anderson

Two people I can do with my phone. Go-to-Meeting costs $12 a month, with a 2-week free trial offer, for up to 150 people participating at once.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We can do it with our iPhones as well. Wife and I can talk, with live video, to each other. It's called FaceTime, but wife's sister don't have that.

It does appear that nobody in the forum does this "video" thing with family. At least I'm not hearing from anyone, but you.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The question of whether or not I have Skype or Face time is yes. Do I use it? No, well, once when I spoke with a friend in England about 4 years ago.

Lois Winters likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, my SIL loves to text, because she does it with her daughters and grandkids. As for us, we do very little of it. We'd like to do the video thing because we haven't seen wife's sister or niece in a number of years. Do talk on the phone, but would like to see them "live".

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We use facetime quite a bit. Only for the grandchildren though. My 2 year old grandson always grabs NaNa's phone and say "Pop Pop" When my son in law was in Iraq and Afghanistan he could occasionally Skype us In fact I just hung up with him.

9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Next week I'm going to my doctor's office via telehealth. Wonder how that will work out.

10. Ken Anderson

Yeah, we do that with our grandkids and a friend who was our pastor before he moved to Pennsylvania fifteen years go calls us on Facetime a lot. Most people either don't like video-calls, don't have phones or computers that support it, or don't know that their devices support it.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yesterday at 5PM, us, wife's sister and daughter and granddaughter and wife's brother were on Zoom. Nice video/talking for around 40 minutes. Unfortunately, wife's brother's bosses laptop doesn't have a computer camera, so none of us could see him. He could see us and hear us, but didn't say anything, so we don't know if the laptop has a microphone in it or not. I sent him an IM him, telling him to ask his boss to buy, and install, a computer camera, and, if the laptop doesn't have a mic installed, to buy one and install that.

It's nice to video and talk on Zoom, but those on Zoom would like to see and talk with all of the people in the Meeting.

We used my wife's laptop that has Zoom installed, along with a built-in mic and computer camera. The computer camera we ordered for our desktop won't be in until the middle-to-last of May.

But, it was really cool seeing and talking/hearing wife's sister, niece and her daughter. Hadn't seen any of them since 2014 in Orlando, Florida.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We got our new computer video camera, from Walmart, the other day. It's a simple "plug and play" usb type. It's very nice and sits on top of the desktop screen.

Last night, we had another Zoom get-together with niece, her daughter, wife's sister, other great niece/her friend and, FINALLY, my wife's brother. He was able to get the camera in the computer working and we could see him and hear him. First thing I noticed, "the dude needs a haircut!" We done this Zoom Meeting on wife's laptop, but next meeting will be on the desktop using the new video camera on it.

My wife's last two interviews were done on the computer (video). Both, last week.