Violent Crime Rates

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is an examination of actual crime reports, as recorded in the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, and makes comparisons with the violent crime rates in the UK, England and Wales.

2. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Up to date FBI violent crime...https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-1

I prefer to stick with just U.S. data, as comparisons to other countries are likely flawed as demographics vary greatly. Usually the issue with those comparisons is prejudiced towards advocating gun control and out homicide rate. Guns are about 2/3 of homicides, but removal of that data indicates we are a fairly violent bunch, as it doubles and triples the rate of other countries.

Frequently, suicides are tossed into the gun debate, although some of these countries without guns have as high and sometimes much higher suicide rates. France's suicide rate surpasses the combined U.S. homicide/suicide rate. The U.K. rate is about even with the U.S. so the 33,000 gun deaths in the U.S. includes about 21,000~22,000 suicides. Typically, guns are the weapons in about 60% of homicides. (2013 as data point)

It is well known that homicides in the U.S. are about 90% within each demographic group. However, the number of homicides within each of those demograpics varies enormously. Delving into the specifics can lead to a charged racial atmosphere. It is quite acceptable to lament the fact that nearly 40% of prison inmates are from a demographic of the population that is just 13%. It is quite acceptable to note that 90% of homicides are committed by and within each demographic group. It is considered extremely racist to point that 55% of homicides are committed by a demographic that makes up 13% of the population, or that 27% of all violent crimes falls within that demographic as well.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-21

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

That is the point that he makes in the video because often our violent crime rates are compared with other countries in order to advance an anti-gun agenda. The larger point that he makes is that the vast majority of crime in the United States comes from specific neighborhoods within our larger cities, yet gun control laws do not address the problems that are contributing to this crime, given that these cities usually already have some pretty strong gun control laws. He doesn't mention race but the racial makeup of some of these neighborhoods may not be diverse.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We sure have our share of "gun violence" here, however it is narrowed down to a few certain areas. But, in listening to local news, which I'm not sure is good or bad, there are many people here that have a handgun in their vehicle and/or carry one as a concealed weapon. One thing a person doesn't want to do here is, get upset at someone and honk at them for doing something.

We don't "conceal" or have one in our vehicle. .

5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The worst gun violence is in gun free areas. So if you are in a place where the people do not have guns you are more apt to be shot. They forget to put that in there reports. more people are in prisons in the US because a lot of jail/prisons are privately own and push the justice system to fill them for a profit.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Hard to believe it but in the countryside it is very good most people know the people not to trust and they make everyone else know. The D.R. has a bad reputation as a bad place but most is around the tourist areas. For example I lost my wallet twice not stolen just lost both times returned within a day.

8. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Most of the crime in my neck of the woods is DUI.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

In my High Desert Town of Apple Valley, any crime that may occur is certainly unlawful.

Hal

Dwight Ward and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner

For those of us disagreeing strongly with some particular law, breaking that law is not viewed as "unlawful".

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

We've had twice as many murders in the last five years than we had in the fifty years before. But these total only three.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, your numbers are not working out for me. Okay, three murders in the last five years. That's twice as many as the last fifty. ( I used to major in math, remember. ) So in the last fifty years there were 1 1/2 murders? Was the half someone who was just beaten up? You're messing with us, huh?

Tom Galty and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

• One for at least fifty years
    • Two in the past five years
    • Two is twice as large as one

14. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

The TOTAL was three! I get it now. Another mistake on my part. I think my count is up to 15, 534, but who's counting?.

15. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

What is meant by area, what is meant by crime? In me immediate neighborhood we have zero crime. In my town of 1700, we have occasional DUI but mostly (and very rarely) domestic violence
    The only murder outside of domestic violence, some girl got raped and murdered back in 83,still unsolved.
    My county of thirty thousand, Domestic Violence is the headliner,Shoplifting from the outlet mall is in the paper quite a bit, Child neglect is in the news everyday, not because it is actually happening but LEO's charge that if a child is any where near an unlawful act no matter how petty. Of course the ever popular drug possession or sales. Once you get out of the county towards the more populus cities of Rochester and Syracuse, crime matches that of national headlines with murders shootings, gang activities and such not.