Waiting For Watermelons

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of our seedless watermelons are getting big, but still not ready to pick. I only planted one seed plus a pollinator. The one plant has at least 11 watermelons of various sizes. I'm getting antsy wanting to try one.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Few things on this earth are as good as vine ripened watermelon. The ones we can buy at the grocery store are but a poor substitute. I think I'll go buy one from a local grower tomorrow.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nothing grows here because we just have too many trees all around the property. I planted lots of watermelon seeds, and we have a few little vines; but nothing has even looked like it might blossom or make a watermelon. I have one teeny-tiny butternut squash that is about the size of a walnut, and i don't think it is ever going to get any bigger.
    From now on, we are going to get our produce at the farmer market in the summertime, and I am going to try and grow things like berries instead that do not have to be planted each year. Maybe we will get fruit eventually. We have one cluster of grapes from the grapevine, and this is the first time for that; so hopefully next year, it will produce even more.
    We have been getting the watermelon at the farmers market, and it IS much better than what is at the grocery store.

Von Jones and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Finally got a ripe watermelon. It was supposed to be seedless but had lots of seeds.:mad: It was good but not as sweet as we hoped.:(

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

It's funny how one season the melons will be sweet as can be...and then another season they have very little sweetness at all @Sheldon Scott.

It's the same way with other fruit, etc. too. I bought some red grapes awhile back that were so sweet they had a taste like kiwi to me, then I bought more later on that was tart. The one's I bought a few days ago are sweet but have no kiwi taste. And the bowl of sliced melons that I bought containing cantaloupe, watermelon, and whatever the green melon is has some slices that are sweet and some that aren't. I guess sometimes it's just the luck of the draw as to whether we will get sweet fruit, tart fruit, or almost tasteless fruit.

The only fruit I have found which has been consistant in it's sweetness so far this year is the pineapple. :)

And I had a couple of really sweet nectarines the other day too...but at $3.49 per pound that will not be something I'll be buying to often.

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I know it's not the same but after reading these comments I went to market and bought a slice of watermelon. Put tin the frig and forgot about it. I'm going to try it in the morning for breakfast.

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't forget to eat your watermelon this morning @Bill Boggs. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.