Walmart Announces Walmart+ Membership

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Beth Gallagher, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Those cash-back credit cards are the bomb. I have an Amazon Visa that pays 5% on Amazon purchases and a graduated scale on other purchases, so I put almost everything on that card and pay it off monthly.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup.

I got a BB&T VISA card that's:
    3% on gas
    2% on groceries and utilities (everything in a Walmart store is "grocery," and cell phones are "utilities")
    1% on everything else

When I convert points into cash and transfer to my checking account, BB&T gives me a 10% kicker.

I've gone for paying all cash/writing checks to charging everything on my card, even home car & auto insurance.
    The only thing I cannot charge (without paying a service fee) are my property & real estate taxes.

It would still make sense to get those 5% Walmart and Amazon cards.
    Should have done it before going COVID-crazy. So much plastic, and so little time...

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

A couple of years ago we had new windows installed in our house; that was the largest single purchase I ever put on that card. Got a nice little cash back on that one. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am re-thinking the Walmart+ idea. We started ordering our groceries through the Walmart shopping app, and then we just drive down and pick them up. We often buy our gas at the Walmart gas station, too, and it is about the same as we pay for gas at Sam’s Club.
    if I get the yearly membership ($98) then we would only have to save about $8 per month to break even, and we would have the convenience of delivery.
    We don’t go much of anywhere anymore, since we no longer go to the fitness center (until it warms up again in the spring); so we do not use a lot of gas, and it is not very far to drive to the Walmart neighborhood grocery; so I am still deciding if this would be worthwhile or not.
    We can’t share this one with my son, Michael, because his Walmart is in a nearby town, but too far for delivery.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Do you have to pick up your orders at Walmart? They don't deliver?

6. Yvonne Smith

if we get the Walmart +, then they deliver. So far, we have just been doing the online ordering and drive through pickup, which there is no charge for doing.
    If you get the Walmart+, then it is $13 per month, or $98 per year (which is what we will do if we get it because you save around $50 that way), and then you can order as often as you want and they deliver. You also get free shipping from Walmart.com and save 5 cents per gallon on gas.

I think that you can just ask for delivery, and then it is around $7-8 per delivery; so if a person was going to have delivery, it would be worth it to have the Walmart+ .

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ah... go ahead and share....
    Get the wmrt deliveries to your house, then go visit your son ! In a few days, maybe, you won't be able to visit anymore.... we just don't know if we have tomorrow, do we ? (on earth that is)

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Right....3000 miles away.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'd have to look and see what they have online. I'd love to dump Amazon, but when I go into a Walmart store, I don't see much of anything that I want.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

That is what we are thinking as well. Walmart has sellers online, just like Amazon does, but those might not be included with the free shipping program. But they definitely have a better selection than just going into the store , plus they have closeout, which Amazon does not have as often anymore.
    If it looks like we can use the free shipping , and get better prices, then it would easily pay for the $8 a month price.

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

"a nearby town" I took to mean in a nearby town, not 3000 miles...

However, then, it is .... potentially
    ... even more important to take every opportunity to visit then.....

12. Yvonne Smith

I didn’t explain it very well, perhaps. I live in the Southeast, and my son lives in the Northwest part of this great country. However, he lives in a small town, and the nearest Walmart is in the town nearby to where he lives, but too far away for Walmart delivery.

Sadly, it is probably too far away for me to ever be able to visit him again, because of the horrible restrictions for flying now, and for the foreseeable future.
    Thankfully, we both have an iPad, and we can chat online, and even do FaceTime when we want to. It is nothing like actually being there, and being able to give him a big hug, but it will have to do.
    Almost all of my family are in Washington and Idaho, and we live here in Alabama.
    Thank you for caring , @Jeff Elohim !

Bobby Cole and Jeff Elohim like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Well, the Walmart+ has come and gone, at least from this family.
    On Wednesday, I signed up and started the membership , but then decided that I would rather pay by the month for the first month or so and make sure we really wanted this before I paid for the whole year. The application would not let me backtrack and change it, so I ended up cancelling it and starting over again, with the monthly payment.
    It said there was a 14 day trial, and that it would be extended to a 30 day one; but instead they charged me the $12.95 the same day as I signed up.

I just spent an hour on the phone and chat service explaining this, and they said that since I signed up the first time and then cancelled, that I had lost the free trial period, and there was no way to change that even though it all happened on the same day within the hour of each other.
    So, I said just cancel the whole membership in that case and we will pick up our groceries, like we have been doing.
    She said that they would refund my payment since it was cancelled before 7 days, but the email they sent just says that it is cancelled at the end of February when my first (paid for) month ends, and I am thinking that they probably will not give me the refund either.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

If you used a credit card, just dispute the charge with the card company.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

We have not been shopping inside of an actual grocery store for quite a while now, and the other day, we went to Kroger because it was on the way to the chiropractor appointment for Bobby.
    I noticed that it is much easier not to be distracted by extra food when I am shopping online , as opposed to when I was wandering through the whole store.
    When I order online from Walmart, I do not actually see other foods, or smell them, but when I was walking through the store, then everything around me was catching my eye, whether I wanted/needed it or not.
    It definitely makes it easier to stay on target with my shopping list when I order online and we drive by and pick it up. Another thing that i like with the Walmart online shopping is that I can also buy anything that I want from the Walmart store (not just grocery items), so today, I ordered myself a new box fan.
    Bobby needed the other ones that we have, and I want one that I can keep in the house and use, and it is perfect for drying the carpet after I clean it with the carpet shampoo.
    I ordered a purple one, so there is no question that this is going to be my fan for in the house.

John Brunner likes this.