Watch Out For Mexican Cilantro

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/M...-for-Texas-Cyclospora-Outbreak-318683481.html

Here's an excerpt: "Human feces and toilet paper found in cilantro growing fields in Puebla, Mexico are likely to blame for hundreds of cases of cyclosporiasis, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says Monday..."

Supposedly shipments are being detained at the border and checked, but I already have health issues. I just got through with a bout of gastro issues, after eating some cilantro. I don't know if it was from Puebla, but it doesn't take much to set my stomach off, so I'm going to avoid cilantro until I hear an all clear. You'd think the farmers could at least provide a few port-a-potties for the farm workers.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I saw that, as well, and I almost bought my spices there last time, but decided to scrimp, and bought Great Value at Walmart...guess I'm glad I was being cheap ;). It's getting scary how many food and related health issues have come up lately. Is it difficult to grown your own cilantro? I'd like to grow my own spices at some point, but keeping them away from the cats could present an issue.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Shipments are being detained, it said - that means the Food and Drug Agency is doing its duty in protecting the Americans from imported food stuff that may be contaminated. Sometimes it cannot be helped when farms have no standards particularly in hygiene and sanitation. Over here, farms always depend on the farmers and the government's concern is only up to the irrigation. Even banned insecticides are still used in some farms, particularly the small ones.

5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Fortunately I have bought cilantro in awhile. But I use to buy it all the time. Now hearing about this is making me think twice about doing so. There is no way that this cilantro should of been picked to be sold. Come on it should of been all too obvious it was contaminated.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

If farms outside of our borders aren't upholding standards designated by the FDA, then companies here shouldn't be buying products there. Somehow, apparently it's cheaper for them to do that, despite transportation costs, than growing it here. I don't buy it that often, although I love it, but Texas has an abundance of Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants, and who knows how many of them have used this.

7. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Damn, I hate it when people will not give a damn about others' wellness if that means they will make a buck. It doesn't matter if it's a practice where they destroy mental wellness (by placing the seed of fear or doubt in one's mind), or physical wellness, like this particular case. It's disgusting.