We Got A Jamforlig From Ikea

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

We ordered a chair from IKEA, and also found a JAMFORLIG, that looked interesting. It is similar to the old hand operated egg-beater, but is plastic and is a hand held whisk. It is easy operate, with two speeds, and cleans easily. It was only $13.00.

I used it on my waffle batter, and they were the smoothest! My wife used it yesterday on the butterscotch pudding and .....it was the smoothest. Kind of a fun thing, to have and use!
    Whisk.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is a word that I had NO idea even existed, let alone what it meant. I had to hurry and read your post, @Joe Riley , so I could see what in the world you bought and wanted to tell us about.
    I like it ! !
    It does look like an updated version of an eggbeater, and a pretty handy gadget to have . I was thinking about the old ones just the other day when I was whisking something up and wondering if such a thing as a handheld and operated eggbeater still existed.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am guessing if you looked up the literal Scandanavian translation of Jamforling it means egg beater..lol. Even though it seems a little expensive, I think Ikea would be the place to buy something like that,,because no doubt they would want twice that much in some kind of specialty kitchen store. I love those kinds of stores but not their prices! It makes me think...I used to have an egg beater..wonder what happened to it?? I sometimes use a wire whisk. I like Ikea, but I am always afraid of buying the items that need assembly. I am not very good at assembly..and it would sit around here for 5 years (exaggeration)until roomie decided it wanted to do it..or I could get my son down here which could be months! Enjoy your Jamforling!

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Jamforlig ...............now there's a name to conjure with, glad you like it Joe :)

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The English translation is "comparable". I guess it is comparable to an egg-beater!;)
    [​IMG]

6. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

It looks like an egg beater.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

....except the "beaters" are open at the bottom, or "whiskers".

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

LIke the others here who are lost in space, this is also my first time to encounter that word jamforlig. Well, it looks strange to me since we do not use egg beater here - only the bakers have that and since we do not bake much, all we have is the rolling pin. But for a mere $13, I guess that's a good investment for something that is a novelty and will add interest to the kitchen.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie, IKEA is a furniture company in Sweden, and the assign Swedish names to products. Jamforlig means "Comparable" in English. It is comparable to a whisk,and looks like an eggbeater. Only the beaters are plastic and open ended. It is not meant to be used as an egg beater, it simply resembles one in appearance. When whisking for a recipe, it does a better job than a whisk. The batter and pudding come out creamy smooth.

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you for the added knowledge especially that of IKEA as a Swedish furniture company. Now I am more confused because I have to ask what a whisk is. Although I haven't used an egg beater but I have a good idea of it since it is used in bakeshops. So maybe I have to go back to basics and learn what a whisk is. And back to that jamforlig, it looks like a functioning tool and not just for a novelty, huh.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is a whisk, Corie. Yes the Jamforlig is a well built kitchen aid. It is easy to clean because of the openings at the top and bottom. The two speeds are an engineering marvel.
    [​IMG]

Corie Henson likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

We bought a Vilmar from Ikea! We have it in the kitchen, and find it to be comfortable and stable. It really brighten's the room up!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I love Ikea. I can wander around that store for hours. The buffet is good too,

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think you all just like using the word jamforlig in a sentence.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That sounds like the wisk calling an eggbeater, a jamforlig!

Shirley Martin likes this.