Whаt Shоuld Bе Dоnе Аbоut Thе Аlmоst 50,000 Hоmеlеss Vеtеrаns?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Daniel Milner, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Daniel Milner

Daniel Milner Veteran Member
    Registered

Аs muсh аs it pаins mе tо sаy this, I dоn’t think thеrе is аnything thаt wе саn dо, оr rаthеr, I dоn’t think thеrе’s аnything thе gеnеrаl аmеriсаn publiс is willing tо dо. Sеtting up sоmе sоrt оf shеltеr systеm оr еvеn gоvеrnmеnt fundеd hоusing is gоing tо соst mоnеy, whiсh will соmе frоm оur tаx dоllаrs, whiсh mеаns, еvеn if tеmpоrаrily, slightly inсrеаsеd tаxеs. Whеn I sаy slightly, I mеаn suсh а smаll аmоunt оf mоnеy frоm еасh pеrsоn thаt thеy wоuldn’t еvеn nоtiсе, sоmеwhеrе аrоund thе $1 - $2 dоllаr rаngе.
    If histоry hаs shоwn us аnything, thе Аmеriсаn pеоplе will аlmоst unаnimоusly bе аgаinst this. Nеvеr mind thаt it wоuld hеlp bеttеr оur соuntry аnd gеt thе pеоplе, thе аmеriсаn publiс sо vосаlly сlаims tо suppоrt аnd саrе аbоut, оff thе strееts аnd intо hоmеs аnd саrеd fоr. But it’s nеvеr gоing tо hаppеn bесаusе it wоuld mеаn thе pеоplе hаvе tо pаy аn еxtrа dоllаr оr twо оut оf еасh pаy сhесk fоr а sеt аmоunt оf timе.
    This is whаt nееds tо hаppеn, thоugh, аnd it’s whаt shоuld hаppеn. Thеsе vеtеrаns, whilе nоt аll hоnоrаblе, hаvе pаid thе priсе tо thе pеоplе оf thеir соuntry. Thе аmеriсаn pеоplе nееd tо tаkе саrе оf thеir vеtеrаns. Thе Unitеd Stаtеs gоvеrnmеnt nееds tо tаkе саrе оf thеir vеtеrаns. Nеithеr аrе willing/аblе tо dо sо bесаusе thеy’rе еithеr tоо stingy with mоnеy thеy’d nеvеr knоw wаs missing аnd bесаusе thеy’rе pаrtiаlly bеing hаndсuffеd by thе аmеriсаn publiс аnd thеy dоn’t асtuаlly саrе.

What do you think?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not see much of a change in our leaders views about Veterans in general.
    The number now serving in Congress that have served in the Military is now at 20%, from a high of 75% in the 60's.

Less than 5% of Americans choose to serve in the Military.

Veteran issues are giving 'lip-service' during election time, then goes on the back burner.

Gary Ridenour and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Unfortunately, and this comes from actually being homeless years ago, a lot of the homeless, including Veterans, prefer being homeless. When offered a place to live, many have turned that offer down.

Von Jones and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It's partly true what you say, Cody....many for whatever reason prefer the streets.

Also, I would gladly give even $10 a month if I was positive that it was going where it should but it seldom is. :(

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A couple of weeks Prior to ETS (expiration term of service) each military branch should have a mandatory class for it's soldiers which would explain each and every detail that is offered to veterans. With that class each vet should have to register with the VA, and get their I.D.'s.
    Even those with a discharge that is less than honorable but greater than dishonorable should have to register.

Here's why. As it stands, when a vet is discharged, he or she is literally thrown to the wolves. It's like it's some kind of secret that there are established programs that a veteran can get involved in to help out. But, generally speaking it's only by accident that a soldier can find the help he needs.
    Most vets really do not know their total benefits under the VA and even fail to get registered so they can receive the help they need.

One such program for homeless vets is the HCHV program (health care for homeless veterans).
    I was closely associated with the Wilkes home in Greenville, South Carolina which houses around 40 veterans for 90 or more days. During their stay they are checked from head to toe for medical problems and can even get their teeth fixed and receive eye care. You'd think that teeth and eye care isn't that remarkable unless you knew that a soldier can't get those things unless he is 100% disabled or a retired soldier.

Some of the other stuff that happens during a stay at a vets home under the HCHV program is that it's a drug and alcohol free environment, so much so that a one time a week AA and NA meeting is mandatory for ALL soldiers, not just those with the problem but everyone participating in the program.
    If anyone has a medical claim, the claim is expedited by the VA. If a vet has been chronically homeless for one year he can apply for a HUD/VASH ticket and get a financially assisted apartment or home, provided that if he can work even limited hours gets a job or if a soldier is 80% or more disabled. Many times, if a soldier is able, the VA hospitals will employ a HCHV client during their stay at the vets home.
    Along with a great diet (no, not Michele Obama's diet) clean clothes, moral support, and a clean bed the vet is also given all of the information and a chance for re-education he needs in order to cope in a civilian world. (Or war as it were).

In other words, help is out there but they just have to know where to look and the government ain't helping to enlighten our soldiers. Matter of fact, it almost seems as if a guy has to have a top secret security clearance to find out what can be made possible for his/her future.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Guess the Dental Coverage changed, because I had a tooth extracted In the Dental Dept. at the VA Hospital in Long Beach, Calif. in 1995. I have an Honorable Discharge from the Navy.

In the mid 70's, the Navy had a Transition Program I got into to make it easier for a sailor to transition into civilian life from Active Duty. For a few weeks, I worked for the California Fish & Game Dept. in Long Beach. I wore civilian clothes ever day and worked from 8AM to 5PM. I even got to be a "ride-along" with a Game Warden on his patrol boat. He was an actual law enforcement officer.
    This experience sure helped me to get back into civilian life.

Also, there are discharged military that know about the medical benefits, but choose to take a companies medical insurance instead. Before companies started making employees pay monthly for medical, I took a companies medical. It was around 1995 when companies started making employees pay for medical. Yes, before then, medical insurance with companies was free to employees!

BTW, today, if a former military person doesn't have a "Service Connected" medical problem, that person has to pay a co-pay for medical service and prescriptions. There are exceptions, but don't know what they are. I pay a co-pay for everything now b/c my wife salary is so high.

I also used my GI Bill for the short time I went to college.

When looking for a new job, I consulted with a Veterans Rep. at the State Unemployment Office. I remember back in the 70's and 80's when Vets were given a "Priority" status for jobs. I got a couple of very good jobs back then due to that. Heck, some companies don't even want to hire Vets! Why? Because some Vets are trained with discipline imbedded into them and many companies are very laid-back and don't want someone who believes in strictness. My last Supervisor/Director didn't even care that I'd been in the military.......and told me that.

Ok, truth is, a lot of Vets know they have VA Benefits, but simply don't want them.

Old saying, "Youcan take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!"

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno Cody. In 1970, I ETS'd at Hunter in Savannah, Georgia and folks there were not very friendly toward Vietnam vets much less give us a job. During those years it seems that no matter the MOS, a large portion of us could only find menial positions which influenced a great many to reenlist.
    Maybe the Navy guys faired better, or not. Other than my secular calling, my Christian calling is involved with the home missions field dealing strictly with the homeless. Since I am a combat vet, it's only natural for me to associate with other vets especially the ones who are homeless and even to date there are probably 3 out of 5 vets who haven't a clue other than something called a GI bill which most have never applied for.

It was only about 6 years ago that I finally sat down with some VA affairs people to try and figure out how to spread the word to those ex soldiers on what their total benefits package truly consists of.
    Goodness, since I registered with the VA I still get a handbook every year explaining the basics and new benefits so that tells me that overall, the VA knows that many of their vets don't know what they can have or can't have.
    And, with a computer I get email updates and personal tracking from IRIS and VET med which most homeless vets really do not have access to.

Oh yeah, I re-read what I wrote about the dental thing. Yes, you can get teeth pulled but they will NOT help you out with dentures unless you are disabled or retired military. I was without teeth for 2 years before I was finally able to afford teeth through my medicare insurance even though it was the VA system that pulled them. If I had entered into a program I could have had all of the work done with no cost at all. And yes, all of my other meds are free through the VA.
    Granted, there are many GI's out there who know their benefits because with an all volunteer military, most of them join up so they can qualify for those benefits but during the years of the draft, things were not so comprehensive.

That said, I still believe that a class pre ETS from the Vets Admin and mandatory registration would be a starting point at preventing some of the homelessness that eventually occurs.
    Of course, I do absolutely acknowledge that some of our lost vets prefer to live the way they do. I know of whole communes that are made up of nothing but ex soldiers but that still leaves a lot of guys and gals who fell through the cracks and can't seem to get up on their own.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, the VA fixed your teeth? I have Medicare and they have nothing at all to do with the VA. OTH, the VA does bill my Medicare Supplement, Florida Blue, when I see my VA doctor to discuss my labs.

Back in the 80's, I was told by a Vet Rep. at the State Unemployment Office, that I should only include my military experience if it related to the job I was applying for. It did relate and, in part, that's how I got a couple of jobs back then. After leaving my last job in 2007, I was told not to include my military background because it was too far back in years and it would also give away my age..........and we know how Age Discrimination happens.

I agree that more should be done for Veteran's, but everything takes money to do/help out.

9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This issue of the homeless is getting to be out of control. In my younger days, I thought homeless people are an isolated case and that it was illegal to be homeless who can be arrested for vagrancy. But now I have been reading that there are homeless not only all around the world but in America as well. I had posted in another thread what I had read about the homeless people in Hawaii. Of course, we have our own homeless people here and we even have pictures of some of them.

With the veterans, it seems that they are neglected by the country they had served. The government should be doing something better for them.

10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

50,000 homeless vets sure seems like a high number. I am a vet, my cousins are vets, friends are vets, coworkers are vets. I don't know a single one who is or has ever been homeless. Vets were paid, fed, housed and clothed while in the service. Aside from the disabled, most vets should be able to find jobs and support themselves.
    I may be wrong but I just can't imagine even a small percentage of that number being homeless.
    Do any of you personally know a vet who is homeless? A friend or relative perhaps?

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't. I do see one sitting right by the stop sign when I exit Safeway's parking lot. He's in a wheelchair and salutes every time.

Don't know if he's a vet but he's sitting in the worst possible place. I can't even open my window and give him money
    Because he's on the other side.

Its a busy street I'm turning on to and I'm watching traffic with cars behind me waiting to do the same.

He's been there for the whole summer,I be never seen anybody give him anything unless they have a passenger in the car who can reach out on that side. Since he's in a wheelchair, you have to get very close to him..the whole set up is a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm really surprised he's not been asked to move.

12. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

I applied for dental care last year and they turned me down because I was not a wounded vet. boy was I ticked. on my own I searched the VA sites and did find they have contracts with 2 dental co's at reduced premium cost. delta and met life. so I went that way. you just have to look for it.

http://www.va.gov/healthBenefits/vadip/

13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

When I got out after my 1st enlistment to go to school, the help I got was muster out pay and 'see ya'.
    When I signed up for classes, saw the Vet table so stopped by.
    Nice guy, talked me into signing up for unemployment benefits.
    With that and the G.I. bill, had enough to live on.

Later, I joined back up and retired in 1994.
    This time when I put my papers in, went to transition classes, and 3 months 'house hunting - job search' time.
    Moved back to Nebraska and they paid me active duty pay for those 3 months.

Right after we moved in, the local VFW called and asked if I had applied with the VA.
    They said they would handle the paperwork.
    Good to their word, got a call shortly after that from the VA for an appointment.
    They had my Military medical records and we went from there.

The Service organizations do a pretty good job.
    VFW, DAV, VVA and American Legion still fighting for us.

Von Jones and K E Gordon like this.
  14. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems like some vets get the help and assistance they need and others dont/ I think the help is out there, but it can be a long wait for services. It is really troubling to think about the fact that so many vets end up in a dire situation. Also, young vets are committing suicide at an alarming rate. I am not sure what the answer is, but it seems pretty clear that we need to do a better job. I am really glad that you got the assistance that you needed TIM. It does work for some, but it needs to work for all!

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm sure there are some, but I have a hard time believing that veterans are overrepresented in the homeless population, and suspect that they are used in much the same way that children are, in that a "homeless veteran" plays well as far as pulling at the heartstrings goes, in much the same way that so many things are said to be "for the children."

I know several veterans. Without doing the math, I would say that perhaps more of my male friends are veterans than not and, if anything, I would say that they are more responsible than others. So unless alcohol or drugs play a part in it, I don't see why veterans should be homeless. By law, they are given an advantage in many hiring situations and even without the laws, I think more employers would rather hire a veteran than someone who has not served.

On the other hand, the military does not necessarily train soldiers in skills that are easily translated to civilian jobs other than law enforcement and security, and those are the years when those outside of the service are learning skills or attending college.

My younger brother enlisted in the army with the promise of learning a trade but once he got in, he never got near anything that had the promise of actually doing that. I think they're doing a better job of that now, though.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016