What Academic Education Did You Get From Your Job?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Corie Henson, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been working in the office after I was done with my practicum in a factory. As an Industrial engineering graduate, I thought I would be stuck in factories or in manufacturing companies. It didn't occur on my mind that I could also be capable of landing a job in a bank.

From my job, I have learned a lot particularly the art of communicating. Business letters are not that easy to write and that's one thing that I can say I only learned in the office. Since English is just a second language, I also got to know the proper pronunciation of some English words.

2. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine taught me all kinds of things like temperature certain things must be cooked, paperwork, and all sorts of that stuff. But the one lesson that I take with me everywhere I go is how to read people. I was in charge of hiring at my store. They gave me the total number of scheduled hours I could use and left the rest up to me. People are going to try to put on their best show for you when they want you to hire them. But there are subtle clues you need to pick up on while you are having a conversation with them. I made some very poor choices, I'll admit. But eventually I knew what I needed and if I could trust them to do it.

3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Not being able to pursue the career in Literature and Poetry that I wanted, but graduating in Hospitality Management, my first job gave the academic education that I needed not just to make my writing dream come true, but to know the technical and editorial aspects behind the publishing house I was working for, from using an IBM composer (typesetting machine) to understand the editing marks coming after a draft review, looking like these:
    [​IMG]

4. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good that You learned proper pronunciation in a time that was as if the last of its kind.....

It was something to note over and during the last 20 or 30 years - the gradual and now increasing loss of proper pronunciation of many English words, and the lack of proper spelling, many words being spelled wrong without being corrected or correctable.
    The three R's are forgotten and possibly even laughed at , instead of values being upheld in most schools and business.
    Not a surprise considering the total lack of honesty, or truthful values, in the leaders in every field, especially politics, religion and medicine.