What Are The Best Memories You Have Of Your Father?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though my dad wasn't around all the time..I still have favorite memories of him. Once was when I was really sick with the flu. Most of the time when I was sick, etc. it was my Mom who took care of me. But this time my Dad did...and I remember he made me a bed close to the fireplace because I was chilled...and then he made me a fizzing drink which tasted like 7up but had some meds in it too. He stayed up all night making sure I was okay and because I felt safe with him next to me...I was able to rest in that security. I'm sure there was other times my dad was there for me...but this is the time I remember he was there for me alone.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I hate to say this but NONE.

3. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

My dad was a serious drinker and was not a happy drunk. But there were times when he was sober that on warm summer nights we would build a fire down on the lake shore. We'd roast marshmellows and tell stories. He had the best stories about his family growing up and ghost stories. Those are the memories of him I try to keep in my heart.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto...no good memories of my father....

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm truly sorry to hear some of us have no good memories of our dads...but there is still a blessing...without your dads...you would not be here...and I hope all of you are glad that your dad helped bring life to you.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a good dad. I think my very favorite memory of my dad is when my sister and I were little, and he would swim with both of us on his back. No mean feat in the choppy and cold waters of Lake Erie. ALso, when I was fairly young I had open heart surgery...and he was by my side day and night. My mother never sat with me, or was there for me the way my dad was.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a time when I visited him and he had a little victory garden that he gave me vegetables from. I'll not forget it for he was retired and many Seniors don't have enough money, but he shared with me his vegetables. He has passed since 2008. Happy Father's Day in heaven Dad!

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasn't with my Father very much, but I remember his singing voice, sounded like Perry Como he did
    I also recall his love of music and me standing on his feet as he waltzed me around ............

Yvonne Smith and Babs Hunt like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was in grade school, my father would bring me to the race track in the early morning when he trains his horses for the practice runs. There is a special horse for me which I ride. By the way, my 3 older brothers were already jockeys at that time and they wanted me to be an equestrian rider. That sport is reserved for the rich because joining the competition requires a rider to have his own horse. Anyway, I saw my father's patience in teaching me the proper way to ride horses because he wanted me to be like the daughters of rich horse owners who are also in the race track, learning to ride.

However, when one girl rider figured in an accident, my father decided to stop my budding equestrian career. He said that he just wanted me to be a success in the field of riding but it would break his heart if I suffer an accident. I cannot forget those words.

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My dad always did his best for me. Maybe it was to help make up for his absence during the war. Maybe it was mostly love. I always felt that in my teen years and beyond, I let him down. I could have done better. I'm sorry dad.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Lovely honest post

12. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I am the youngest of six children. By the time I came along, Daddy was driving a truck for a living. When he was home, I would climb on his lap as soon as I woke up in the mornings. He would be sitting in a chair at the table talking to mama while she cooked breakfast. While they were talking, he would take out an ink pen and draw faces on my finger tips.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Texas Beth - aah made me feel all cosy reading that - lovely :)

14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I had more good memories than the three that I do remember. There were a lot of secrets around our estranged father.

15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I consider myself really fortunate to still have my dad around. I wish I got to see him more than twice a year though. I am going to try very hard to get a summer place in my home area so I can be there more often. I mean I don't need to see my dad every week...but once a month would be nice. Also, as he ages, if he has to be hospitialized I can be there. He had his kidney removed a couple of years ago, and there were some complications with that. I really thought he might not survive and all I could do was talk to him on the phone. Fortunately, he is now fully recovered.