What Are The Marfa Lights?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Craig Wilson, May 15, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

We know they are mysterious glowing orbs that appear in the desert outside the West Texas town of Marfa, a phenomenon that has mystified people for generations.

According to eyewitnesses, the Marfa Lights appear to be roughly the size of basketballs and are varyingly described as white, blue, yellow, red or other colors.

Reportedly, the Marfa Lights hover, merge, twinkle, split into two, flicker, float up into the air or dart quickly. So what are these mysterious lites.. alien or man made?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

As the first sighting was in 1883 - we can safely say, not man made
    Whether the whole thing has been exploited today ……… probably

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The town is probably gaining some revenue from them, as they are quite famous. I've never seen them, but I suspect they are a natural phenomenon of some sort. The Wikipedia article cites the findings of a couple of groups of researchers which suggests they are car lights from US Highway 67 or, prior to that, the lights from campfires, but that doesn't seem (to me, at least) to explain the colorations and other phenomenon that have been reported over the years. The US highway probably wasn't there in the 1880s, although there may have been campfires.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Camp fires don't dart about and stop on a dime so I doubt that theory

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Flaming Arrows! Covered Wagons with their tops alight dashing to and fro?

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is interesting that these lights seem to show up in many other places, too, and some have been seen for many hundreds of years, according to some of the native legends. Even though it has been studied, there are apparently no satisfactory explanation for why ANY of the mysterious lights are there.
    I think that this is another of the mysteries of this world that we can’t understand, and so we make up reasons for them. many of the lights are observed close to railroad tracks, and in areas where there have been bad train wrecks, so the people living in the area think that the lights are ghosts of the people killed in the train wreck.
    If that were so, then it seems like we would have a lot more places where lights are seen, because there have been many rain wrecks, and in places where we do not see lights.
    Here is an interesting article that tells about some of the other mystery lights that we have here in the United States, and other countries also have the same kind of legends and sightings.

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/americas-mystery-lights/