What Are Your Thoughts on Astrology?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Von Jones, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I choose to respectably disagree, as an avid and daily listener of Coast to Coast I can tell you that there has been more conversations about Nibiru then crop circles. Followed perhaps by quite a bit on aliens of all types and how the world is probably going to end soon. Occasionally there will be discussions on some pretty interesting stuff that might result in me actually looking more in-depth at the guest, but those nights are not that often.

I do not hear that many discussions on Coast about astrology anymore although the Mayan baloney went on forever. There is more discussion on politics since John B Wells has left. One of our local radio stations has an astrologist on quite often that is quite good. I think the thing about astrology is you can't take it to heart, if you view it more as a meditational tool I think it is much more effective.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What I said was that these -- astrology and crop circles -- were my least favorite topics on Coast to Coast, not that they were the most common.

3. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always thought it's just a bunch of made-up stuff. Even though my mother was really into it, my father and I have always hated it, but she kept saying that it's true and then she'd go on to tell us how being an Aries actually affected her day because Mars did something...

4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always found astrology interesting, not that I have always believed everything about the signs of the Zoidaac. But I do have to admit that I do have many of the personality traits of the sign I fall under. The thing is I was about four days away fro falling under another sign which I show little or not traits of. Anyway, I do find it an interesting thing to study not that I believe completely in it. I also don't believe in Horoscopes, oh these are fun to read, but I don't give them too much credence or believe this is what will happen during my day or week.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the laugh! I had a great mental image of an alien on a tractor going around in circles. :)

6. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I do believe that astrology is an undervalued science that can describe with accuracy someone's profile through the study of the the natal chart, so it's not only about the solar sign in the planetary hour and date of someone's birth, but also the time itself, the ascendant sign and the interaction of the different planets and the moon upon the 12 houses the zodiac is divided into.

As noted in another thread, I am Aries with ascendant in Sagittarius, being born at 11 pm of a holy Saturday, which translates into the Chinese astrology as to were born under the Rat sign, which is the equivalent for Sagittarius, and at the Sagittarius hours, what makes no strange that many of my characteristics are closer to be more a Sagittarius-ruled person than the influence of Aries on me.

Yes, I like all of these topics and when it comes to the daily horoscope we can find almost anywhere, remember that this is a simple glimpse of the astrological movement, and if it says "your boss will fire you today" but you are unemployed already, this could be translated as something that is going to occur with your actual money-making activity so, rather than being fired, a door of a business project could be closed or something like this. Interpretation of horoscopes is strictly person to each one's situation adapting predictions to it.

As a side note, and as for the crop circles comment, I am absolutely convinced that not all of them are prank, and there is no reasonable explanation for them, no matter how hard supposed debunkers try to demystify them.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I confess to total ignorance when it comes to astrology. But if astrology interested me, I would study it the best that I could.

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Pardon me if you are an enthusiast of astrology. I do not subscribe to astrology for the simple reason of the 12 signs. If the horoscope or luck of billions of people depend on their horoscope then that means there are only 12 types of luck. And what happens when 2 people of the same zodiac sign would compete, what would be the result? Questions like that bug me because horoscope is out of logic.

As with the other astrology which is the Chinese zodiac, it's practically the same - dividing people in 12 categories depending on the year they were born. Again, that 12 as a number of signs is what makes it unacceptable to me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Back when I was trying to read my way through our public library, I read up on it a bit. Enough to decide I didn't believe in it. When a person's personality traits are listed it seems as if the shotgun method is used. A bunch of personality traits are thrown out there. If half of them fit the subject, he/she thinks, "wow, right on".
    Anyway, I believe the Bible addresses astrology.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, with derision.

My mother in law was a fairly successful astrologer, as far as earning money through astrology, by the way. Although she passed away a few months back, her web site is still up.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, I visited the web site and I read what your MIL had written for my sign and the last line of the 'reading' stated "Having plumbing problems?" This is no lie. I just called a plumber this morning.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Besides giving information about each of us as individuals, the stars , constellations, and planets also talk about the world as a whole. Recently we had a planetary alignment that has not happened for around a thousand years , and it also means that we are moving into conjunctions with different star signs.
    I actually do not know much about this kind of thing, but it does interest me, so I am going to look into it a little bit more. According to the things that I have been reading from social media, we are going into a better age to live in, although it also says that we must be aware of our spiritual side in order to “move up” to the next dimension.

836BB53C-8A45-49DF-A191-C8AB968BDEBE.jpeg

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

As an Amateur Astronomer, I can truthfully say that Astrology is Bunk!:rolleyes:

H.P.
    228.jpg

14. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are interesting coincidences that I have read from time to time but I vew it as meaningless as Palmistry and Reading Tea Leaves