What Are Your Thoughts On Embalming?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Modern day Embalming as it is practiced today in the U.S. really got started during the American Civil War. Most of the dead both North & South were either left to decay or buried. There were some however, mostly Yankee Officers whose families could afford to have them embalmed and then shipped home. Contrary to popular opinion the main purpose of embalming was not preservation but sanitation. Later on as embalming technique became more sophisticated, appearance of the deceased as well as preservation was the norm and therefore open casket with display of the deceased became pretty standard. For many years in this century embalming was routinely performed without the consent of survivors. Today, most states require written consent before embalming can be performed. A human body that has not been embalmed would not be pleasant to view. Individuals that die in one state or country and then are transported back home by air or rail are generally embalmed.

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

My family for generations have left this physical world by way of cremation. But,I did find your post an interesting bit of history. :oops:

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suppose it depends on how important a viewing is for members of the family. When my mother died, I felt like I had to go up and look at her in the casket although I didn't want to do that. I was thirteen, and it seemed that it was expected. I wished I hadn't because she didn't look much like herself, and it wasn't like I had forgotten what she looked like or that I had to see her lying there in order to believe she was really dead.

When my father died, I was in my twenties. I attended the funeral of course, but I didn't go up for the viewing. I would much rather remember him the way he really looked, and I just didn't see the benefit. Yet, that seems to be a ritual that's important to people. I don't know if it serves a purpose for some people, or if it's just tradition.

Perhaps it to eliminate any odor in the event that it takes people a while go get there, although with the airlines, it's not as if someone will be riding horseback across country.

4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

There will be no service for me. My daughter will go alone, and spread my ashes in the small lake/large pond (?) with maybe a prayer, and that will be all. I want no more.

I've been to enough family funerals, and not once did I feel that the service benefited me.in any way. I would rather leave those that matter with a living image of me.

It's also cheaper on me and my family.

Patsy Faye and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen!

6. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I plan on cremation for all the reasons Ina said. I have asked for very little in life so I expect someone to spread my ashes at +รท/*Gulfview ....Galvestin Tx...at best on the North Jetty even.
    I want to blow in tha wind, become a part of the sand and gulf....no bra no shoes no undies .....Heaven:p

Patsy Faye and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

A properly embalmed body in a casket typically presents a lasting peaceful image of the deceased to family members as opposed to a last view of the deceased, wasted jaundiced in a hospital or nursing home bed. To each his own however.

8. Well, I wouldn't feel the need to look better dead than alive... but like you said, to each his/her own.

Hedi Mitchell and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner "To each his own however."

Personally, I prefer that my own wasted corpse be spared all observation by all folks. My ex-wife's parents, both dead and lying in caskets side by side, created a Maelstrom of sick interest.....she had requested the caskets not be open during viewing. I actually saw two women who had walked into the funeral home off the street, carrying shopping bags containing their purchases, approach the caskets, when one remarked "The caskets are closed let's go".

They had read of the murder-suicide and were intent on seeing what they might of that ravage. Almost like vampires. Sought they sight of the bullet holes? What drives people like this? My wife, 20 years old, endured the unendurable during that time.

No one shall view my corpse. I'll SEE to it, if at all possible!
    Frank

10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here Frank - there's something very 'odd' about it

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's been years, upon years, since I've been to a funeral. Because of financial reasons, we couldn't fly and attend my wife's mothers funeral or my BIL (wife's sisters husband). However, did have a nice bouquet of flowers sent to both. Both of them were cremated.

Wife and I are setup to be cremated and ashes put next to her son's grave.

Anyone here ever watch, on YouTube, how a cremation is done? I have. Not sure what to think, but having it done.

Haven't been to a funeral in years and, from what I remember, have never been to a wedding...........except my own. LOL

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Nooooo...watching....when sister in law was cremated...director said...sign it..do not read the fine print ! Either way is bad process but has to be done.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Sorry went to wrong reply

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, it was sort of "creepy" to watch it done on YouTube. Just like when I watched how a hip replacement was done in an operating room. Darn near didn't have it done, but went thru with it. Glad I did.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Well of course I went and watched a few YouTube videos on both methods of handling the remains of the dead, and I'll stick with cremation. I learned more about what happens to those that choose burial than what I wanted to know. Now that is a yucky journey, and you'll pay three times the amount for the privilege of occupying a piece of earth that could see better usage.

Patsy Faye and Hedi Mitchell like this.