What Are Your Thoughts On Inter Racial Marriages Do You Approve?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There was a time in our history when a person's skin tone did make a difference, and there are people actively at work to bring those time back again. If you are living in a time or a place where you or your children may be ostracized for marrying or being the product of interracial marriage, it would certainly be reasonable to consider that. Are you strong enough to meet the challenge, and do you think you can raise children who will be strong enough to meet whatever challenges they may have? It seems reasonable to consider these things. That would not be a problem here. When I say that, I am not implying that there wouldn't be anyone who would talk bad about an interracial family, but that these people wouldn't matter, or shouldn't matter. We can't change everyone's opinions about race, nor do I think we should be able to. As Americans, we have a right to approve or disapprove of whatever we want, but the full approval of everyone in the community isn't a realistic goal.

I had relatives who had a problem with the fact that one of my friends was a Catholic, and that I had dated a girl whose parents were divorced. There were those who disapproved of the fact that I didn't go all the way through college after high school. I couldn't afford it, but I didn't owe anyone else an explanation. While we would all like to have the full support of everyone around us, in everything that we do, that's not realistic, and we shouldn't be held down by the prejudices and opinions of others. If these opinions are what's important to you, then that is what will rule your life, and others will continue to make your decisions for you. Some people are okay with that and even buy into the hive mind.

A dozen years ago, I think we were well on our way to creating an interracial society, but that didn't work for the politicians who needed to keep people divided, fighting amongst themselves rather than waking up to what was going on around them. I think we've regressed over the past decade or so, but we should always ask ourselves what's more important, the person we want to marry or the thing we want to do, or the approval of others, and then be willing to accept the consequences.

Yeah, I know. I said the same thing that I said in my last post, only I used more words. I like more words. Words are good things to have around.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It has alwas bothered me a little bit.

3. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Guess my turn to rock the boat not good day here as lost another family member (dog). Marry whom you wish just don't automatically think I will approve or not, each to their own views. Admit I am sure not politically correct at all. Any comments back all ok to me...… No issues at all.

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother-in-law was quite prejudiced. She didn't like Catholics nor anyone of color. So you can imagine her situation when her oldest daughter married a Catholic. She married him quite a while after her mother had convinced her not to marry a Baptist minister by foretelling a life of hardship as a pastor's wife. Then her youngest daughter married a man with American Indian heritage.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know the the history of it, but in many of the old western tv show and movies, a white man had a Native American woman as a wife. "Half-Breed" was a common term back then. Actually, I know of one Native American actor, Wes Studi, who was in Dances With Wolves, that married Jack Albertson's daughter. So, here's a Native American man marrying a white woman.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Again, I go back to the “mirror” theory. If one can look into the mirror and say they are genetically pure this or pure that then there might be some degree of acceptable criticism that one can display. If American Indian, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, Jew or whatever isn’t intermixed at some point within your own genetic background then I’d say you have a chance at handing out some criticism.

As it is, some of the analysts say that the Caucasian race is going to be the minority in the U.S. by 2045 or so but I’m saying that if the “one drop” rule were to be applied to all races then the Caucasian race is already a minority and within a very short period of time will be extinct.

Bottom line: Whether we like it or not, someone obviously did before we were born and within our progeny, probably will after we are gone.

ARRRGGGG.....Oh my Goodness! There are markers of knuckle dragging Neanderthal in my genetic line!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Tex--I'm sorry to hear that you lost your dog. I know how terrible that feels.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Never gave it much thought, because it was never a problem. I spent my career in a community college.

I've had many friends - African Americans, Iranians, Mexicans, Indians (from India), Vietnamese, Chinese, and every other race (who attend a com. col.)
    As far as marriage, I've attended several mixed marriages, and even been in the planning stages for a couple of them

Most of these have been among fellow church members, and some of them met at church functions.
    So, for me, there is nothing that would hinder two people who are in love and take their vows before an ordained minister. Incidentally all of them are stilled married, such as my good friend who was my visitation partner at my church. After the marriage, he became a member of my church, and is very active. (until the virus slowed everything down)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Nobody is "pure".....specially the ones wrongly defined as Hispanic; Latin America has received immigrants from allover since 1492.
    Now, the real Hispanic (from Hispania = Spain) are mixed as well; the Europeans have run their continent back and forth since the times of the times: Visigoths, Arabs, Celtics, Mongols...people from the Mesopotamia, Nordics........

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My point exactly. I understand someone not “liking” interracial couplings but if one looks at their own genetic makeup there really isn’t much a person can say without being a tad dishonest with themselves. Note: That’s provided that they like themselves of course.