What Assumptions About Your Country By Outsiders Irritate You?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Holly Saunders, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

110% redneck here, got guns, pickup truck and duck tape, like Trump.

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tex Dennis
    Somehow, "redneck" has always conjured up images, for me anyway, of hill-billy slovenliness, and I know that don't apply!

Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I am from NY. What image does that conjure in your mind?
    I live in the country,maybe not Texas country or Wyoming country, but country none the less. I have a couple of beef about 20 chickens a flock of guineas,two dogs and a cat.
    It is a five hour drive to the "city", in my 65 years I have been there 4 times. I have never seen a subway let alone been on one.
    In the 2016 elections the majority of the state (62) counties voted overwhelmingly for trump. How ever the population of the downstate area effectively renders any non democratic vote useless.
    I am surrounded by an ever growing Amish population, in town our grocery store, gas station, dollar general and McDonalds all have hitch racks for the carriages
    I own firearms and use them often, I hunt I fish,
    NYC is a tiny little land mass hanging like a hemorrhoid on the bottom of a big rural beautiful state.

What is your mental image of NY? .

4. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

@Peter Renfro What is your mental image of NY?

Anywhere I've visited in NY, outside of NY city, is very clean.

I live 4 hours from NYC. I've been there twice since moving north, from GA.
    I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, rode the subway and would like to walk over the other pedestrian bridges in NYC.

Another time, I walked over the Walkway over the Hudson, so beautiful. Like many states, usually you don't have to travel too far to get out into the suburbs, country even. Chicago used to be like that. Not far at all from open, spacious land.

Also went to Niagara Falls. Most impressive and beautiful place I've ever visited.

In Brooklyn, went to see a young relative. His "apartment" was very small and had only 2 tiny windows near the ceiling. It was crammed in behind another building. Their coats and other things took up all the space. It was so upsetting to think about him there.
    I can't believe you can rent out something like that for people to live in.

I was very happy to learn that he had moved to metro Atlanta.
    Probably, plenty of people from other areas still have a negative impression of Atlanta and GA.

Years ago, a woman who moved to metro Atlanta from Boston told me that when they planned to move, she thought she would see lots of people out in the fields picking cotton, the women with their hair tied up in scarves. At the time, I had never seen a cotton field.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

New York consists of two things: there is New York City and the prisons to the northwest. Yeah, that has pretty much been my impression of New York.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have spent many days/weeks in both Upstate New York and the "City", and enjoyed both for different reasons. Had friends in Ithaca, Elmira, Syracuse, and NYC,and had relatives living in Buffalo. I spent many hours fishing for muskies and other fish in Chautauqua, as well as camping in the area. I have no pre-conceptions about it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

People born and raised in Texas.... Are not rich, not all wear cowboy hats anymore.
    But truck's are a biggie, so are guns and BBQ with sweet tea of course:):D

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Peter Renfro
    My own mental image of NY has always been similar to that of @Ken Anderson, though now your beautiful description has altered that. But, I still wonder how much of the Liberal thinking and laws have affected not only NYC, but the entire state?

This I dislike:

"New York state law does not require a license to own or possess long guns, but does require a permit to legally possess or own a pistol. However, all firearms must comply with the NY SAFE Act, which bans assault weapons from ownership by private citizens, unless they were owned prior to the ban."

"New York is generally perceived to be a highly restrictive state for purchasing, possessing, or carrying firearms, as most firearms regulations are defined at the local level. This is especially the case for New York City and its surrounding suburbs, and larger urban centers throughout the state where most New York State residents live and work. In contrast, most rural areas in New York State have relatively permissive firearms policies, particularly with respect to concealed carry."

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

Please do not read into my comments any intent on my part to discredit what you explained in your post. Rather, take it to explain why, in part, many folks not really familiar with NY as a STATE, think in the way they do. 'Tis a shame, in one way, but good in another: the beauty of rural NY will benefit from maintaining outside ignorance of it!
    Frank

9. Peter Renfro

Registered

Yep that safe act is a Cuomo thing. He is out to out liberal all the others.
    Very few weapons actually got registered, how ever many thousands were stolen by bands of roving gypsies that invaded the state, there was also quite a spate of boats capsizing and there contents lost to the depth of the lake!

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have kidded with some young dudes here, driving full-size pickup trucks that have an image of a Buck Deer on the rear window and wearing a camo hunting baseball cap. This is what I've said and they laughed about it, "you know here you guys are called Rednecks, while in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakota's, Texas, Oklahoma and a few other states, they are called cowboys.

Since I spent a number of years in pro-rodeo in the West, and now have lived here in the South for the last 10 1/2 years, I have definitely seen the difference when it comes to a Redneck and a cowboy. A Redneck's cowboy hat is bent way down in the front and back and they say "ya'all", whereas the rodeo cowboys I knew wore normal looking cowboy hats and didn't say "ya'all". The rodeo cowboys I knew didn't listen to Southern Rock, like Marshall Tucker or Lynyrd Skynyrd and have long hair. They listened to Garth Brooks, George Strait, Chris LeDoux, Terry Clark and so on.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, what do I think of NYC? Same as I think about Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and all other large cities like these, including Denver, Colorado...…….NO THANKS, end of story! LOL

Now, I have been to Cheyenne and Casper, Wyoming as well as Billings, Montana and I was fine.

Tex Dennis likes this.
  12. Peter Renfro

Registered

Cody, What do you think of New York State? Not the same as NYC! Taken from my back deck
    DSC_0264.JPG DSC_0269.JPG

13. Peter Renfro

Registered

A common scene on my road
    DSC_0044.JPG

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I can sympathize with the folks from outside NY city.
    Trying to compare NY with NY city is like trying to compare my home, New Orleans with the state of Louisiana.
    Heck, I have even jokingly remarked that New Orleans needs to apply for statehood just because it doesn’t in any way represent the way too cool things that the state itself has for people to enjoy.

That said, I was at West Point for a period of time and spent some time around Stewart AFB when the Army was making a bid for the base. Beautiful country to say the least!
    I made one trip to New York City to see the sights and nope, I went back to West Point and was glad to be away from the city.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Been to NYC several times and when we were sent there considered it punishment detail. Could add the same on 4-5 more places, Me and NYC did not mix well.

Frank Sanoica likes this.