What Bugs You Most When Depicted On Tv Or In Movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Don Alaska, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Some things really bug me when they are shown on television or in movies. One of them, with potential for harm, is showing doctors doing CPR. In my experience, doctors seldom do CPR, and when they do, they usually do it poorly. It would be much more helpful if it was done by paramedics, EMTs or even nurses using a dummy so they could perform it properly on screen. The viewing public then gets the idea that they can do resuscitation and do it poorly instead of getting instruction, being certified, and doing it properly. House was the most ludicrous show of all time, as it showed doctors doing their own imaging and scanning, their own laboratory testing and PCR. Although doctors used to get some training in medical microscopy, most no longer do and do have any idea what they are looking at in a microscope, not to mention operating an MRI or CT scanner. The CPR thing I believe has the potential for harm, the imaging and testing is just plain silly.

Other things that bother me on TV are cop shows that have unprotected "stars" entering scenes with SWAT officers and confronting and defeating automatic or semi-automatic weapons with their little 9mm auto-loading handguns...or sometime .38 or .380 revolvers. Again, silly and it gives the public the wrong idea about how to handle oneself in a shooting situation.

Do you have any pet peeves when viewing movies or TV?

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

The thing that bugs me is that they take an action series and throw love scenes into it when the series starts getting old. When that starts, I'm outa here.

3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't like any show I find boring and if it won't hold my interest.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My BIL is a dr and did CPR on my mom and she survived....most medical people are/have to be trained in CPR.

She lived with them after my dad died and one morning my niece found my mom unresponsive...thankfully my BIL was home at the time.

I know what I’m watching is not real life so I it’s not like I’m going to do what they do or don’t do.

I get more upset with dr shows that are real like dr Oz and give advice just to sell some products especially with weight loss etc.

Cody Fousnaugh and Lulu Moppet like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Doctors ARE trained to do CPR, but they generally do it poorly. Some can do it well, and perhaps your BIL is one of those. I have seen EMTs and paramedics practice doing CPR on a dummy on a gurney or stretcher being carried down stairs. Most medical people are trained and certified to do it, but most never practice it except in the training.

Bobby Cole and Lulu Moppet like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

That is most of television for me, @Lulu Moppet.

Bobby Cole and Lulu Moppet like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t even have TV anymore..just Netflix and Hulu.

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, Dr. Oz and his diet-of-the-week (or day) that will revolutionize the world of dieting. Today, it's take THIS supplement and you'll lose 10 pounds the first week and tomorrow, it'll be eat THIS vegetable and you'll be half your size in a week. Put them all together and I'd disappear before the month is out.

Frankly, I call him "Dr. Product Wh0re". I really liked him at first, but he lost me in no time at all.

Chrissy Cross and Lulu Moppet like this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Dr. Oz lost me when this event happened:
    "The next-door neighbor of celebrity heart surgeon Mehmet Oz is suing the affable TV talk-show doc for planting three 46-foot cedars that ruin the lawyer’s stunning view of Manhattan............It’s ego, arrogance and spite"
    https://nypost.com/2010/12/04/nj-neighbor-suing-dr-oz-over-trees-that-block-view-of-manhattan/

Selfish. Never found out if it was resolved. Probably not. I checked. Lawyer lost. Some lawyer. He sued before going to the zoning board, so in effect he lost his own case. Let that be a warning, folks---before a lawsuit, exhaust all civil procedures FIRST.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Ok, I'm going to "go out on a limb here" and say...…….two men or women kissing.

The movie, Bohemian Rhapsody was an excellent movie, except for the parts that show Freddy Mercury kissing another man. Dang near "upchucked" my popcorn!

Then there is the movie, Behind The Candelabra that showed Michael Douglas and Matt Damon...…….well, you know what they were doing (and it wasn't just kissing). Sick, Sick, Sick!

Then there was Adam Lambert, American Idol Winner, was performing, with his band, on stage for an Awards ceremony and, after the song was done, turned around and walked up to his keyboard player and kissed him. Right on tv.

Chris Ladewig and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Dr. Oz is just another of the "Oprah Phonies" who gain groupies by flaunting strange things. I once liked him as he had an open mind regarding unconventional treatments, and I did learn something, not from him, but from someone he had on from Columbia Presbyterian regarding digestive issues.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All by themselves, Chuck Norris and Arnold Swarzenegger could have won the Vietnam war. I often wonder what they were doing when the real thing was going on. We could have used such talent as that.

Clint Eastwood declared in one of his latest movies that his military life was spent in the Calvary rather than the Cavalry. It definitely gives the song,
    “Onward Christian Soldiers” a whole brand new meaning.

On “Flashpoint”, each member of the team can hit a moving object dead in the middle during training, but expend hundreds of rounds in a gun fight against a single man standing in the open and still miss.

When the good guys catch on fire, they drop and roll and there’s always someone to help out. When the bad guys catch on fire, they always run to fan the flames. Maybe that’s where the term, “flaming idiot” came from.

Good guys cars can be in multiple wrecks and keep running but bad guy’s cars nearly always blow up after a fender bender.

No matter which movie or show it is, the stars never get their hair messed up even when they go through a storm, after a hard day’s work, during sex or being chased by the Texas chainsaw guy. Kind of leads me to believe that Hollywood stars keep their brand of hairspray a secret.

Visualize if you can, a desert spanning for miles around and a log cabin sitting in the middle of it. Enter into the house and we find a nice piano and lace curtains on the glass windows and flowers on the kitchen table. No wonder the Apaches were ticked. They had to sleep in teepee’s that they absconded from the plains Indians.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

:):):):):):):):):):)

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I sure as hell am noGoody Two Shoes or Prudish in any sense, but the absolute over use of profanity really bugs me. It's Netflix, Amazon. TV (captioned etc.) EVERY ONE. Mother F***** seems to be a favorite and other uses of the F word. Watching media should not downgrade our English speaking perception.