What Do You Know About Crohn's Disease?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

This week I went through several tests on my intestines and colon. Now the doctors think I have developed Crohn"s disease. After looking up Crohn's disease on the web, I found out that IBS can develop into Crohn's. I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago. I have all but one of the listed systems. So far I've had no signs of bleeding. So now I'll be going through a process of elimination to see what triggers my systems.

I thought I'd ask all of you what you might know concerning this disease. For some reason the doctors aren't very forthcoming on this subject.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear this Ina - I have IBS too :(
    Tried many things and have just ordered Marshmallow root, good reviews
    Its not the variety you buy as sweets - its the real deal, have to get it from America, via Amazon
    I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

3. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Patsy Faye , thank you, and yes I'd be interested in your findings about how Marshmallow root. I've heard of Marshmallow root, but I don't know if it grows in this part of the country, nor do I know how it's grown, processed, or is used. How is it supposed work?

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

Well its thanks to the Romans and Greeks
    Just copied this for you
    Marshmallow root provides a number of purported benefits, which include reducing inflammation associated with asthma, sore throat, bronchitis or cough, skin irritation, stomach ulcers or inflammatory bowel diseases, according to the University of Michigan Health System.
    Other than that Ina - its the roots of a plant :p

Tony Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

[​IMG] Pretty and sweet ain't it :)

Tony Page likes this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thanks @Patsy Faye, I am interested in your finding, so maybe you could journal it here since we've already started on the subject.

Tony Page and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

I will do that Ina - I wish I had ordered earlier, will just have to wait
    Patience Patsy - patience :rolleyes:

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

The Doctors aren't very forth coming about Crohn's Disease because just like IBS and other "bowel" diseases they aren't sure what causes it or how to treat it. What may work for one person, does not work for another. They can't even tell you how to change your diet to help because what may work for one person, again, may not work for another. We have a 10 year old grandson (on my husband's side) that has Crohn's and less than six months ago he had part of his diseased colon removed because his Crohn's had gotten so bad that everything he ate ran through him and of course caused terrible digestive pains on its way out. He is actually doing better now but Crohn's disease has no cure so unless God does a miracle here...our grandson still may have many rough roads ahead of him.

I have lived with IBS since I was 28 years old. There are 3 kinds of IBS, none of them pleasant and there is no cure for this and it is the "luck of the draw" if you find something that can help you on a regular basis. I have IBS-D which is the worst kind to have to me. For years I felt like I was changed to the toilet and had no life outside of my home. At that time the Doctors had just a few meds that could mostly help the pains that came with this...but nothing to really stop my bowels from letting loose anytime and anywhere. They have more meds now but still it is mostly for the IBS-C and since my oldest sister has that kind she has basically tried all those meds and not one has helped her on a continuous basis.

With Crohn's you can experience a lot of the symtoms of IBS too. And although diet does have a big part in helping Crohn's and IBS, the problem is finding just what kind of diet will help you if you have these diseases. I did so much research and tried so many different ways of eating, things that were supposed to help etc. but nothing helped until I stopped and "listened" to my own body and what it was trying to tell me. And when I did, I found not a cure for my IBS but a change in my eating habits, etc. that give me more control over my symtoms. And I also learned what makes my symtoms worse, like stress and eating some things that I now know will always run right through me!

Every time I rode the train to my daughter's in Texas I had to take 20-25 Imodiums just to make that trip there...and then the same amount to go home again. And I could not eat anything but crackers or a half of a peanut butter sandwich...and sips of water along the way too. I have had many years to learn to live with something there is no cure for...and I learned to find ways around this disease too. It is part of me but it no longer controls my whole life or keeps me home bound all the time.

I don't know if this helps...but I hope it does and I'll be happy to share ways I found to help take control instead of letting this control me.

9. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Babs Hunt , your post has made me feel better. I have had IBS for about 15 years. In the beginning, I just had stomach cramps, and my doctors told me I was experiencing too much personal and work related stress. In '07 I finally had to close the doors of my company, but that didn't stop the pain, and six months later I ended up in the emergency room.

I was told I had developed diverticulitis, and without emergency surgery I would die. So I had the surgery, and they removed 1/3 of my colon and intestines. The surgery did eliminate the infection, but not the pain. But at the time, I was just glad that I didn't end up with a colostomy bag. Then I found myself dealing even worse side effects. The worst was the uncontrollable diarrhea.

Recently, I was told that they "think" I've developed Crohn's disease. So now I have to decide if I want to go through the hit and miss choices that I was told "we" could "try". That kind of treatment hasn't worked well for me in the past with other conditions, so now I find myself reluctant to start down such a path with Crohn's disease.

I've had to deal with pain most of my life, and I learned early on that yes I could mask the pain with meds, but my quality of life was diminished by the fog that came with the meds. For me that route always led to depression, and on top of that, I don't have Michael to help me deal with whatever my health decides to throw at me.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't want to have to be a guinea pig trying different prescription meds with horrible side effects and no guarantee that they would work either. I did take a prescription for the cramping pains though because those pains were worse than labor pains. And I had no side effects from that med.

I don't know what kind of problems you are having now with your IBS or the Crohn's they say you now have. Can you tell me what you are experiencing that you want relief from? @Ina I. Wonder

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I go from days of constipation to days of diarrhea, without any normalcy in between. I would really like to be able to have even short periods of time that I didn't have to make sure that I was within running distance of a bathroom. It would also help if I wasn't always doubling over with pain, or having to take half a bottle of over the counter pain pills, which I'm told are bad for my liver.

For several years now my doctor has given me a standing order for Hydrocodone and Soma for my arthritic conditions, but I'm sure you know the downfalls of taking such drugs. I pulled myself off of them back in '14, and I find dealing with the pain preferable to dealing with addiction.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I said in my earlier post that there are three types of IBS. I have IBS-D(diarrhea), my sister has IBS-C(constipation), and you sweet woman have the IBS-D&C(diarrhea and constipation).

I truly understand how you would love to have some normal days Ina...because I wanted that same thing too. Have you noticed that any particular foods make your problem worse? Many people start out keeping a food diary and note what they have eaten the day their symtoms are worse. The only problem with this is that unless the minute you eat something it runs right out of you...then your symtoms could be coming from something you ate a couple of days ago. But what you eat does play a role in IBS and I think our hormones play a role in this too. Stress also plays a role.

Since you have both C & D with your IBS, it might be simplier to try and find the triggers that cause the diarrhea first. Do you notice anything that you eat (or drink) that within a short time of eating it causes you to need a bathroom near you right away? @Ina I. Wonder

http://www.ibshelponline.com/IBS-A.html

I found this webpage which might be helpful to you Ina. And in looking up your kind of IBS I came across some sites that now say there are 4 types of IBS and also that they call your type now IBS-A or M instead of the old IBS=C&D. I haven't had to do research in a long time because I have over the years gotten control over mine so that I do have what I call normal days to enjoy without having to take a bunch of prescription meds.

Do you find you experience either C more often than D or vice versa...or the episodes about equal?

And have you tried Peppermint Oil?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Thank you @Babs Hunt , if they are now putting the alphabet after the IBS abbreviation, then maybe they are finding ways to deal with these kind of conditions. My seven year old great granddaughter has been having stomach pains for about a year now. She is a little red headed freckled girl with alopecia, which is an autoimmune disease. Her doctors are starting to think she suffering from IBS as well. I so hope not.

As far as what foods are doing what, it seems that starches cause the constipation, and veggies cause the diarrhea. I will have each condition for about three days at a time, and both cause pain. Dehydration is a big problem for me. I know I should drink more fluids, and I do try, but I'm sure you know what I mean when I say that sometimes the pain that drinking or eating causes makes it impossible at times.

If any one thing goes right through me, I would have to say that it is water. Coffee, tea, sodas, or juice don't seem to go through me as fast as water does, and any kind of fluids seem to bloat me terribly.

Thank you for digging up the site for me. I'll definitely check it out. This has gotten so bad that I don't come here as much as I wish to. I'm just not good company right now. I'm dealing with a bad thyroid, high blood pressure, a heart condition, arthritis, sun poisoning, IBS, and now that my two Michaels are gone, depression is becoming a battle.

I could sure use a giggle or two right about now.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Hi Ina - I am at day 3 of the Marshmallow root, no change yet :rolleyes:

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was looking through the free books on Prime Reading this afternoon, and I just downloaded one called "Wheat Belly", and it talks about the connection between wheat/gluten and bowel problems like IBS. I don't know if you have already read this book or not , @Ina I. Wonder , in your search for better health; but if you have not read it, you can read it for free with your Prime Reading account on Amazon.
    I have just started it, and besides digestive issues, he also discusses heart problems, as well as arthritis pain.