What Do You Think Of Warning Signs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ina I. Wonder, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in an area that is still considered country-ish, just N.E. Of Houston, Texas. I have noticed many homes are starting to put up warning signs to prospective thieves. Some are warning of dogs, (I have four barkers myself), and some are forewarning of possible gun usage.

I'm curious about what other people think of posting such warning signs. What is your take of these signs?

Ruth Belena likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

If they put potential thieves off trying to break in, then I don't see anything wrong in posting warning signs. The only thing that would be of concern to me is if the people who post them think that the sign is sufficient deterrent and don't back it up with a proper security system. Some thieves will still take a chance if they think the house is empty or the dogs are obviously caged. They could try drugging the dogs or wait until they know there is no-one at home.

If it is just an addtional precaution, then I think a warning will deter some thieves.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For reasons that I can't really understand, I generally have a low opinion of people who post such signs, and I can't help but think that if their homes were really so secure, they'd have no need for signs.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it would be similar to a sign on display from ADT or another security monitoring service but in a more threatening way. As Ruth stated the back should be there because dogs can be distracted unless trained otherwise or just plain mean to strangers coming around.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I live in the big city, you signs all the time beware of the dog. Is the sign to warn a person to stay away or is it there to say come if you want to but you may not like what you get. I don't think signs stop people from coming into your home if they really want to just as secuirty systems will not stop a person if they really want to get into your property, it may slow them down but they will get in.

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

About the dog ones, those are old around my city, and it's nice to warn people that upon entering your courtyard they are going to be mauled by a beast of a dog. However, I find the thief "prevention" ones stupid. Let's be serious now, how many thieves do you think will see the sign "trespassers will be shot" and say "ooh, I don't want to steal anymore" and go home?

7. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to say the funniest one I've seen, although I think the sign maker was quite serious, was one that was hand painted on a full-size 4'x8' sheet of plywood. It said, "Thieving Bastards Rot in Hell". You just knew there was an interesting back story to that sign.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg All of you make a lot of sense. So I'll take your advice, and not post any dumb signs. Now that I live alone, I'll just have to listen to what my barkers, and keep my .38 at hand nightly.

Houston's criminal element has overflowed into our outlying country areas in the last five years, to the point that are community has been rotating security patrols. There are 10 of us that are driving the neighborhood in shifts every hour. I took 5 to 7 am. each morning so that those with families can get them set for each day. I'm up by 4 am. each morning anyway. Farming hour are hard to shake off.

Here are pictures of my barking alarms.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  9. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

The section of Pattaya where I live is pretty much poor and we have only had one attempted break-in to my knowledge. The dogs in the area are mainly strays but since we all feed them they will bark at people they do not know. And also, there seems to be a league of old ladies who never sleep but keep their eyes open when the rest of us are. No signs necessary!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Mal Campbell

Registered

I've been fortunate enough to never live in a place where I didn't feel safe - maybe I was just naive. I've even yelled at my husband for locking the doors a few times.

I know this wasn't what you had in mind, but this is the type of warning sign I like to see.

this-door-is-alarmed.jpg

11. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

That is just too funny, Mal! I could just imagine the reaction I'd get from that sign if I posted it outside my door. My Thai neighbors are such fun. One time I made a contraption that was supposed keep wasps away and since it was water based and attached above my door they all thought it was something for the Buddha!

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that putting up a sign warning about the dogs is not a bad idea.
    Even though it might not always deter thieves and burglars; it will make them look for an easier target first.
    They know that it is pretty hard to sneak in with 4 barking dogs !

Also, it gives a warning to anyone coming onto your property, so they know that they should stay in their vehicle until you have come out and let them know it is safe to get out of the car.
    I have gone to people's homes, and sometimes you don't see the dogs until you have gotten out of the car and started to walk up and knock on the door.
    Then you can be trapped from getting back to your car and safety.
    If I go to a house and see dog warning signs, I will generally sit in the car and honk or yoo-hoo until I see a person come out and tell me that it is safe to get out of the car.
    Even if your dogs are usually locked up; it is always better not to take chances of someone accidentally getting bitten, and you get sued.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  13. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I was told once that the reason people put up "Beware of Dog" signs was for insurance reasons. The visual is so stupid children do not scale your fence and get hurt and then have their parents sue you. Sadly we live in a time when anyone can be sued for any reason just about anywhere. This is why we need a sign for an obvious wet floor in a rest room, restaurant or store.

I have to admit I have a dog that would probably bite you if you came in, but I do not have the property posted. I always figured I would let the burglar be surprised TWICE! First he would be very surprised there is nothing fit to steal to begin with, and then the dog will bite him in his butt. I am very surprised about the number of home invasions I read about on the news. I never really understood that, in this day no one really has cash anymore. Even an ATM card has a limit of $500 a day. And quite frankly if you stole my car I would get more from insurance then it is probably worth. You just might have to put gas in it to make your get away. So really what is the point?

14. Mal Campbell

Registered

Generally, I find warning sign annoying and self evident - like on lawn mowers saying blades are sharp and will cut your finger off. But I found a couple that were funny.

Don't worry - we'll just take the fine out of your smoldering wallet.
    Funny-Warning-Signs-12.jpg
    Objects on ground are closer than they appear.
    Funny_Warning_Signs _08.jpg

Warthogs - really??
    funny-warning-signs-20.jpg

Oh, if only this were true - life would be so much quieter and the circus so much more fun!
    signs.jpg