What Does It Mean When Someone Likes My Post?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

QUESTION: What does it mean when someone likes my post?
    ANSWER: That depends on the person who clicked the like button. I will "like" a post for a lot of different reasons. The most obvious would be that I liked what that person had to say. That doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with it. Perhaps because I'm the administrator of the forum, I like it when people have a good discussion so I will often like a post when I can see that someone put some thought into it, which is why you might see me liking both sides of an argument. Of course, being a human being, I am probably more likely to like something that I agree with. I might also like posts in which people are relating to one another in ways that I might consider to be healthy for the forum. I might like a post because it included something that I hadn't already known about. I am also more generous with my likes when it comes to new members, as a way of encouraging them to feel comfortable here. I imagine that others here have their own reasons for clicking the like button.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What prompts the rest of you to like a post? It's for the FAQ.

Von Jones and Ed Wilson like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I like a post when I agree with what's said, or when I enjoy the post for whatever reason, or just to acknowledge that I have seen someone's response to me. I'm usually in a quandary when someone posts that they are unwell or have had something unfortunate happen... I want them to know I see the post but I don't actually "like" that they are having difficulty.

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - yep, I don't put a like if its a bad day post, a reply is best for me to acknowledge
    As for likes - I have to like the post

Lois Winters and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

To me a "like" can express a number of things e.g.: I like the whole post, (quite often:) I like (only) part of it , I have seen or read the post, and a "Like" can also express a Thank you for something smeone else has done/posted. It all depends on the context.

Lois Winters and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I like for all of the above

Ed Wilson likes this.
  7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

if someone has a good point..i hit like...
    if someone makes a good joke..i hit like...

Ron Simpson and Ed Wilson like this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

What he said, plus it suggests acceptance into the community.

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I press the like button for reasons very similar to what you have stated @Ken Anderson . Sometime I press the like button when I feel I owe a like to a certain person
    for several likes to my own self. I press the like button when I like what they said or sometime when i like the way they said something. On occasion, I like something I do not agree with simply because I feel the person is quite sincere and has conviction about a subject. I, too, press the like button on occasion for a new person's comment, to encourage them to participate.I often don't press the like button because I think something is trivial or better left unsaid. or I simply do not understand the subject being discussed or do not know enough about it. I think we all have different reasons, some are simple, and sometime they are difficult to explain,

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

All of the above. But we could use a new button of another source.

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I pretty much agree with all the above.
    One thing I do look for in a post, especially a very long post, is the structure. It’s a given that we no longer indent the first word of a paragraph but some folks have a hard time simply making a paragraph or possibly do not know what paragraphs are for.

I’m not saying that the structure of a post is the make or break item that causes me to put a like on a post but if the presentation is there, chances are I will not only read it in its entirety but also provide the merit reward as well.

Reading a post is like partaking of a meal. If it starts out looking good, I will probably enjoy reading it even if I might perchance dislike some of its content.

Note: There is one thing I mention though. No matter how good the structure is and even if I might agree with the premise, if the post is rude and / or contains a myriad of off color words, it will Never get a like out of me.

Ed Wilson and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I 'like' a post because it's interesting whether or not I agree with the content. I feel that I am getting to know the contributor a little bit too especially if our interests are similar.

13. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Structure is immaterial to me since we're posting on the fly here, and what gets presented may not get an "A" from Mrs. Murphy's English Composition class. As long as it's interesting, I'm interested.

Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Most people on the fly aren’t writing long posts or reading them which is why I specified “long posts”.
    I’m kinda freaky about search engines and if the subject is substantial enough, it needs to be presented in such a way that anyone, anywhere in the world can glean something out of it.

But again, the thread is all about the likes and isn’t asking why I write the way I do but instead, is asking why I like another’s material.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  15. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

OK, I get it, but don't be too critical because we are just a bunch of geezers on the decline here. :(