What Ever Happened To Singles Clubs? Replaced By The Internet?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

3-times married. One annulment and one divorce. Third time it is said to be "a charm" and it has definitely been.
    I met my first wife when I was working EMS for a company based in Torrance, CA. She was the Front Hostess for at a very upper-class restaurant/hotel, beside a water canal, in Long Beach, CA.. She was very impressed with my EMS uniform. But, before a year was up, the marriage was annulled. Then, after about a year, we got back together again and re-married. A year later, divorced happened.

Twenty-two years later, I met my wife I have now. The difference is gigantic between my ex and my wife. IOW, should've never/ever married my ex in the first place.

I wasn't a real "nightclub" type person, but learned how to country dance, but absolutely no line dancing. I made my personality change to more of an "outgoing" one, so had no problem meeting ladies in square dancing or in a nightclub. But, NONE of them was anywhere like my wife. So, here we are, celebrated our 20 Wedding Anniversary last month (March) and been together for 21 years. Lived together for a year before we married. During that year, she was wearing an engagement ring.

Trevalius Guyus and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never been to a singles bar nor an online dating site.

My mother used to say, "meet 'em in a bar; leave 'em in a bar." :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The one thing about meeting people in a bar is that if they’ve had a couple of drinks, the social “white wash” disappears quickly.
    What you see is what you get. Even if the next time you see them and the facade is up, you know what is going on inside.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that is why people hook up at work so much. You're around them for so many hours in such a variety of relationship situations, you really get to know their ethics.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

But, if there is a break-up or something bad happens in the relationship, work can be a bad place to hookup. Someone could be fired or quit. Companies generally frown on relationships between employees, because of what could happen.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I agree 100%. I was merely pointing out that there is no other place where people spend so much time together. When I first started out in my career, "No Fraternization" policies were common. Eventually they seemed to fall by the wayside. I don't know if this was an acknowledgement of changing times, or perhaps they were ruled to be unenforceable, or some combination of the two.