What Flowers Do You Have in Your Garden?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Helene Lawson, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Sadly, I live in a flat, so I don't have the ability to plant flowers, but I guess that a lot of you have gardens.
    What flowers have you got in them? And which ones are you planning to plant in the near future?
    I've always loved roses and different wildflowers. ;)

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife has so many I can only name some of them.

Linten roses, daffodils, bloodroot, irises, ajuga, bleeding hearts, naked ladies( both pink and red), impatiens, azaelas, hibiscus. crepe myrtle, grape hyacinth, coral bells, and many more.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have several different colors of rosebushes, most of which are the Knockout Roses from Lowes that I found on clearance. They are greening up now, and once we get a few more warmer days, they should start blooming again. They are supposed to be easy to get starts off of; so I am going to try doing that and see if I can start a few more of them.
    I have been planting more irises and Jerusalem artichokes that Joyce mcGregor gave me (she has lots and lots of both of those), and I have lilies coming up now, too.
    Last year, I planted gladiolas and hostas, but they are not coming up yet. The cannas and Elephant Ears should be coming up soon, too. I also have several bushes of Pampas grass, and it was starting to sprout the last time I checked.
    As for fruits, we have blueberries and apples leafing out, wild plums trying to leaf out, and the little peach tree is out there just blooming its heart out. Maybe, if the storms don't blow off all of the blossoms, we will even get a peach or two from it this year ?
    I have several grapes planted; but I have only noticed one starting to leaf out. I guess that means it is time to take another yard survey and see what else might be coming up by now. Even the rhubarb that I planted last year has a little leaf showing.....yea ! !
    Bobby mowed the lawn, and that looks about fifty times better ! ! Violets are blooming all over the place. They are edible, and sometimes I pick a few violet leaves and flowers to put in my salads.
    One thing I am worried about is my comfrey. Almost nothing can kill that stuff; but so far I have not seen even a sprout from it. It always did fine, even in all the cold north Idaho winters; so it should be fine down here, too.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Right now I only have one plant an old rose bush that has started to sprout already. I hope to have more soon as the weather warms up. Geranum will be one of them. I would like some honeysuckle also.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Helene, I spent six years living in apartments, and after the first year of yearning through a spring of no earth I started to help others in their gardens. I've never met anyone who didn't appreciate some help in setting up for the up coming year.

Have you tried a few low light hanging plants? At one time I had a varigated variety of ivy growing on the walls of my livingroom. Some were as long as 30 and 35 feet.

During my time in apartments, I studied Horticulture for more than three years at my local college. I guess I was just born a farmer.:rolleyes::oops:

Yvonne Smith likes this.