What I Didn't Know Can Gave Me A Headache For Days

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Von Jones, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

So, my son and his family came to visit from Fayatteville, Georgia for Thanksgiving. What he usually does is take advantage of Black Friday deals and purchase our Christmas gift.

So he was measuring our entertainment and that clued to a new television was coming. So I said 'No 4K.' He said 'Too late.'

He arrived with the television the night before their return trip back home, set up the TV and added me to his Disney account. Ok, everything was fine until my almost 2 year old granddaughter decided to move the TV and it fell over. She wasn't hurt but frightened and cried. I checked for damage and found none. The normal television operation was working fine until a couple of days after I tried the Disney channel. The picture was great but no sound. Oh, no! I didn't think it fell hard enough to affect the sound.

I contacted my son and after explaining everything we immediately started investigating. I have spent days reading and follow his instructions but to no avail. I went to the online support, who never contacted me back, I even printed out the 156-page user manual, which didn't have a troubleshooting section. I kept thinking the pictures in why not the sound. So I dug out the user manual for the receiver and was going from one manual to the other then looking at the backs of both devices and then it dawn on me. The receiver was not compatible to the new televison.

I told my son this and he knew exactly what I needed so off to Walmart I went and $20 bucks later I entered in the correct audio settings and voila! It's working. I can hear Marvel's Thor in the background.

[​IMG]

I'd like to say "If it doesn't work check to see if the plug is in." but that would be an understatement.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

:D:D

Micki Pembroke and Von Jones like this.
  3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing I've learned the hard way, is we do not hear back when we just go to the help section. My son has educated me on this and since this is his business, I simply call or text him.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

What a nice gift, @Von Jones; very thoughtful son.

As an aside, how do you like the Disney network? I haven't signed up yet but I'm considering the free trial.

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't really had a chance to actually sit down and enjoy it yet. I would have signed up for it.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, dang @Von Jones ! You get smarter all the time. I'm impressed. :p

Holly Saunders and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh, I guess you didn't notice the thread's heading. :oops:

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Von Jones I find the best help is either going to Youtube and typing in the kind of device/appliance and a three word description of the problem, usually does the trick. Also, the manufacturer usually has a webpage with easier to find troubleshooting than a big manual.

Disney is great. I liked the PIXAR choices and the great documentaries on everything Disney, Star Wars and Pixar. Really interesting!!

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

But you figured it out. That takes smarts.

Micki Pembroke and Von Jones like this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The manufacturer's website was very difficult. I had to register the product every time to get access. The website didn't have a troubleshooting section at all. After I printed out the 156-page user manual (a book!) and found something that I thought would help me I was referred to another section listed in the table of contents. On the website there were highlighted links all through the manual. I got annoyed by that which is why I just printed it out.

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

That is ridiculous!! I'm surprised you ever got it all figured out! You must have the patience of Job.

Micki Pembroke and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Somebody got paid for it, lol. Thanks, Bess.

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

One of my most pet peeves is that things don't come with owner's manuals anymore. You have to go online to see them. Then they often don't make any sense.

14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Pleased the situation has been resolved Von and Bess is absolutely right, can't beat You Tube for instructions on
    virtually everything and the best bit about that is you can see the demonstrations, no reading needed.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, she does. I would have considered Estwing therapy. It doesn’t do the object of one’s troubles any good but it sure does help with any anxiety.

Micki Pembroke likes this.